how delicate are these guys?

Includes Species Profile
amalan11

I have had these guys sugested a few times but as I have to travel about an hour and a half to get home as I dont drive iv alwas worried they may die of shock ....Im sure I read somewhere they go into shock easly
desertbirds

Ive freighted a heap to WA and on one occasion they were stuck in Perth overnight before heading inland the next day.A few hours in the car shouldnt worry them. I think they are a very robust finch.Make sure they have seed, water and the car isnt too hot.
They also copped minus 5 deg here overnight in winter and mid to high 4o deg days through summer.
VR1Ton

I had some freighted up from Orange a month or so back, they left at about 6am were supposed to get in at 12:15, finally picked hem up at 9:05pm, 13 birds in total, did not lose 1. Make sure you give them some electrolytes & you should have no troubles.
spanna

Agree with all the above :thumbup:
amalan11

ok..thats sounds like a train trip would be fine on a cool day ,I seem to remember the electrolites being mentioned in the artice where I first heard they were very delicate .I started giving all my finchs some when they got home as a safty mesure so will do that if i get a pair.
I read they are an amazing finch for their song and display so would like to see that ,It will be a matter of getting some but I find its best to avoid buying in winter so will try and track down soon or leave to spring
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Their display is lovely, and the bird itself stunning.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
spanna

The display sure is something. I was sitting in my aviaries with my camera a few months ago and was lucky enough to have a pair perform close enough to get a great video. Unfortunately, it was the day my memory card decided to stop working, and the video did not record, nor any of the photos of the male singing to himself with nesting token. Was still great to watch in person though.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a few videos from work :thumbup:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They very beutiful finches and love there ways of how they go around an aviary when i saw them in Aussie last year
MadHatter

Amalan, from memory, you are mostly keeping your birds in cages/cabinets right?
If that's the case, I would advise you against getting diamonds as they develop a bad feather-plucking habit in smaller enclosures. There are few things quite so unattractive as a half-naked bird. :lolno:

Return to “Diamond Firetail”