colour question

Includes Species Profile
spanna

natamambo wrote:
spanna wrote:
crocnshas wrote:I agree with orix and tiaris, but i think he was talking about blue in the back,many years ago a chap by the name Ray Tuck in Port Macquarie,had a colony of blue backed RF.The red was normal and not the colour of the seagreen bird.At that stage, he was not selling any and i dont know what happened to them. Also,what do you get when you mix red with green? blue.The thin blue line where the the red meets the green could be the result of this. Also,Rays birds were kept in a dark and dingy aviary which i think my have contributed to their colour differance.
Cheers Craig :thumbup:
Not to pick holes, but when you mix red with green you actually get brown :lol:
Interesting topic, as have never seen or heard of this before...
Actually, when you leave out red and yellow you get blue, green is made by yellow pigment plus blue structural light. This would reinforce the environmental cause theory.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: so assuming the blue is not an overlap of the green and red, a blue feather could (for example, one of many possible reasons) just be a green feather in a bird with insufficient carotene in its diet? This is above my head, never looked into colour loss in birds as I prefer all my birds with all their colours :lol:
flap

never looked into colour loss in birds as I prefer all my birds with all their colours
:lol:
flaP
Myzomela

Blue is often a structural colour in birds ie microscopic changes in a green feather's structure alters the way light is transmitted through the feather and reflected back to our eye, thus appearing blue.

therefore blue is not due to a pigment deficiency, but anything that effects the structure of that feather in that specific way- genetic, nutritional or wear and tear could theoretically cause the colour change.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
MadOzzie

Unless finches are different the primary colours are yellow, red and blue. Red and green do not make blue. Yellow and blue make green and yellow and red make orange.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts ... xing.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MadOzzie
SamDavis

Very interesting. Just did some googling to try and get a better handle on this "structural feather colour" business.
This link is excellent http://www.birds.cornell.edu/allaboutbi ... ument_view
Craig52

MadOzzie wrote:Unless finches are different the primary colours are yellow, red and blue. Red and green do not make blue. Yellow and blue make green and yellow and red make orange.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts ... xing.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MadOzzie
OK,i made a mistake,i'm gaged now :silent: :silent: :silent: :thumbup:
djb78

Would this have anything to do with the sea Green colouring, might be split and some distorting of colour.
Danny
natamambo

Danny sea green is a par blue. I have often tried to research what's causing it ie is it only some yellow missing, but it is one topic on which the Internet has very little information. Perhaps our tame vet can chip in again :mrgreen: :geek: . It's not cased by splits though it is usually a normal recessive inheritance pattern.
E Orix

No they are not sea greens. The Blue is a true Blue(royal) but not a Green/Blue
I can't catch any and get a photo as they are breeding.
djb78

Ok so they have no sea Green. So this is a feather structural problem or a feather pigment issue, will the blue ever leave or is it going to be permanent.
Danny

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”