HOW DEPRESSING IS THIS!!!!!!

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
gouldianpaul

sorry to hear Graham...that stuff makes me feel sick in the guts....hopefully you found out how he was getting in so his buddies don't come back...cheers, Paul
desertbirds

Ditto, thats a Barry Crocker.
gomer

Gut wrenching to hear of your loss Graham.I hope you have plenty of breeders to replace your fine stock.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
matcho

Very depressing, I must admit. The question I ask is how in the hell did an animal that size get in? Do you not have solid floors (concrete) or underground barriers to prevent the access of mice or rats or have they chewed through the netting/wire? I am so lucky, at this stage not to have this problem. Ants are enough,let alone a rat!
Brooksy

You poor bugger! rats are horrible things. The seed brings them around but once they get stuck into the birds they don't care for anything else, as was in SamDavis's situation.
Craig52

Mate,my heart goes out there for you.I've always wanted pied diamonds but havent got the room for them.It's a crying shame to see dead ones :sob: :sob:
Diane

So sorry to hear about your birds.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And they were such beatiful little birds. :sob: So so sorry about your losses. And very glad the culprit is dead. Sincere hopes that your remaining birds now do you proud this breeding season. Time to re-do the rodent poison barriers round my setup.
LML
LML
wildbill

thanks all.
oh well i've got over the drama - or partly over it. only managed to view one dead rat..........better than nothing i had a lot of poison bait taken but not even a mouse on the floor
first experience with a rat in the aviary. the signs were there virtually looking me in the face. days earlier i lost two nests of young diamonds mutations from the dead pied birds.
had a look in both nests - nothing, empty. days earlier continuous racket during their feeding. still didn't sink in what was going on. i thought they might be in the back part of the shelter complex.
i did find a large hole inside the aviary bordering frame and cement floor. this has now been cemented in and hopefully the problem gone.
i used a bait called 'surefire' they/it surely did like it - 30 blocks consumed in 3 days :lolno:
this lesson has been an expensive lesson in the mutation breeding programme plus the pocket. so at the end of the day i think i can walk away with a lesson learnt :crazy:
not totally wiped out .........but close!
again thanks to all who replied.
wildbill

Latest saga on the bird loss. :lol:
The wife can up with a brilliant idea. Told me yesterday that there's nothing that can be done about the bird loss - But the house roof really needs a re-paint so if i get up and do that i might recover the money spent on the birds early retirement. :crazy:
Anyway that's in the past so as of next week - its to a greater height for me ;-)

Wait till she finds out - during my depressed state of bird loss mind. ...............I bought a larger turbo for my car :clap:

Return to “Mutation Finches”