Cages..

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Poohbear UK

Breeders in Australia...If you breed in cages, what's available over there? Do you use the all wire American type breeding cages or the European type box cage with a wire front?
If you make your own cages are you able to get the wire fronts in Australia?
(They are near impossible to get in the US)
Steven

We have those cages you are describing but all so we have wire cages all away round like a prison
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mine breed in the aviary. as for breeding cages I made my own. not sure though as to what is available with cage fronts. havent ever seen them advertised in any magazines or in any of the local pet shops or feed/fodder stores. the stores do seem reluctant to go out of their way though when asked to get something different in.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Matt

Cage fronts are available here. The bigger bird dealers stock them and a range of cabinets as well.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Matt, if you have any links to places that stock them could you let me know. am hoping to make new cages sometime soon
Mick.
Matt

The two dealers closest to me don't have a web address, but when you need them give me a shout and i'll get you their numbers.

Couple of tips when designing the cages.
1. Dividers are a must.
2. Melamine board is a good material to use. Hygienic and easy to clean.
3. For finches, the external nest boxes are better than the slide out type.
4. A wire false bottom above the slide out tray is much less maintenance than newspaper or shaving on the base.
5. Make the front removable. It is a pain in the backside cleaning the inside of a cage with the front still on.
6. Make all food and water servicing accessible from the outside. If you have lots of cages this will save plenty of time.
Fischer

mickp wrote:Matt, if you have any links to places that stock them could you let me know. am hoping to make new cages sometime soon
Hi Mick, If you are still looking for cage fronts I have an email address for Petcare Direct, they are in Mortdale, Sydney and they ship Australia wide. They carry a large range of sizes and are reasonably priced.

Another tip when building finch breeding cabinets is to use the finch cage front, they are narrower in the bar space, preventing escapes. It's been my experience that small finches such as Ruddies can get through the normal fronts.

Cheers Tony
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

could you let me know what that email address is pls Tony.
Mick.
Fischer

No problem Mick, this is the latest I have, if it's not right let me know and I'll PM you their phone number

[email protected]

They will post you a catalogue, they have a large range of everything to do with birds and an offshoot firm of theirs is Chapman Rings..they post those too :D

Cheers Tony
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tx Tony.
chapman's rings was recommended to me by another member for leg rings. looks like I could be buying from both sides of their business lol
Mick.

Return to “Breeding Finches”