green finch

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
djb78

Alright I am thinking of getting a couple of wild Green finches, I was wondering would I treat these the same as I would wild good finches as feeding and nesting sites/material? I know a bloke that goes trapping once and a while and he said that when he comes across a few pair that I could have them (He thinks that I can breed hybrids from them well isn't he wrong). So any info would be great.
Danny
Craig52

They are a bit bigger and boulder than goldies and also they are alot harder to settle being wild birds.As far as feeding goes,i think they will eat alot more canary seed than goldfinches. Craig :problem: ps is it Claude
BJohn

what are wild "green finches' please guys? any photos? species name ?
Bruce
Craig52

Sorry but i don't think you are allowed to keep them in your exiled state, :lol: :lol: :lol:
BJohn

ok, point scored. However watch out this season guys, "go the eagles" and a bit the dockers... I guess. We would then be called the 'exalted' state !
But seriously what are the "green finches", just curious..
Bruce
Craig52

They were introduced into the east coast of Australia during early settlement,along with goldfinches,sparrows,starlings.They are green all over with yellow flight feathers and about the size of a canary or bigger.I have been watching a pair and two young bathing at a bird bath outside our lounge room window for the past three weeks,the cock bird is quite stunning to look at when in full sun,he's quite yellow/green compared to the hen. cheers Craig :wave: ps i live in cat city GO CATS :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by Craig52 on 18 Mar 2012, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
djb78

Craig the answer is no, I'm getting them off a Maltese mate of my brothers named Laurie, he and my brother used to trap them years ago out baccus marsh way and further away. We haven't seen him for years and came across him only a few months ago and still up to his old tricks. He is considering now getting into finch breeding as he had some good raving pigeons which have gotten the virus and all had to be put down. Craig do you mean Claude which has a shop in werribee.
Bjohn if I get hold of some I will post a pick so you can see.
Danny
Craig52

Danny years ago if it is the same guy,he lived and dealt in Melton and i know he's still trapping goldies and green finches because a mate of mine T.H goes with him. PM me if you want more info
Cheers Craig
BJohn

Cheers Danny,
look forward to a photo when possible.
Regards
Bruce
Bruce
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Come on crocnshas we are not that backward , we can keep the green finches carduelis sinica and carduelis chloris, have seen some over here Bjohn but it was a while back ... pete

Return to “Non Specific Questions”