Tri Coloured Nuns Eating Live Food

Includes Species Profile
Finchman1

My Tri Coloured Nuns have young at the moment in the nest,They are in an aviary with parrot finches.I noticed today one of the nuns eating maggots out of the live food tray.I have never known them it eat live food ,have others?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well done :D :D
I've seen my nuns snag the occasional mealworms, so I dont see why they wouldn't feed maggots to their chicks...
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Lonchura

Good observation!
My Tri coloured Nuns will also take live food as needed. The Black headed Nuns, White headed Nuns, Spice/Nutmeg finches and Javan Munias have also been sighted taking bush fly pupae and they relish Meal worms, which I feed in very limited portions when breeding. However, they all have a preference for the very small insects that can be found on seeding grass heads. So when you next feed fresh green seed heads, check to see if they have small insects on them. Then stand back and watch your finches very closely, you will probably see them take the very small live insects first then start on the green seed.
It's good to see breeders offering a varied diet to their finches.Well done.
I am interested in purchasing any of the more unusual Lonchura species and/or their subspecies. Particularly the Asian Munias or New Guinea Mannikins. If you have some and wish to sell them, PM me with the type, quantity and price

I will buy related or unrelated birds. I am also happy to organise and pay freight from anywhere in Australia.
westie

my tri nuns always eat lots of termites especially with young

Return to “Tri Coloured Nun”