Unseasonal nesting

VR1Ton

The older they get the shorter the eclipse plumage lasts for, till about 3 or 4 where they can moult straight into breeding plumage.
natamambo

T, Rosemary Hutton says that breeding is Sept-Dec and Mar-Apr if conditions are good, your setup must be just right.
Tiaris

He's a 2nd year bird (bred Summer 2010) who hasn't yet reached full colour. First year they only attain 75% of their mature nuptial plumage. I know others have them finishing off last round clutches ATM, but I just find it very unusual to see a first attempt by a maiden pair obviously coming into breeding condition now. I do really think the rain & humidity since receiving them from an arid source has much to do with their current activity. I'm not counting chickens before they hatch so to speak but at least it bodes well for the compatability of the pair and is very encouraging for their future breeding activity. So far they have been no more difficult than finches to cater for & have been a pleasure to watch. The male comes up to me after each feed as I offer him fresh "white" mealies at close quarters. His colour is improving noticeably each day & I'll try to get a better photo if/when he colours up & if/when any young fledge.
natamambo

I hardly get to see my Superb cock at the moment, the second I step out the back door he rushes and hides, even while I'm in the flight I have to flush him out of the scrub to check him (normally he won't let the food containers out of his sight and he's very outgoing). Hutton describes this behaviour during the nuptial to eclipse moult and my cock has just about lost all his blue. He's 2 and a bit years old so next year I expect he'll keep a lot more of his blue. I thought they were going down once more about 4-5 weeks ago but nothing seems to have come of it.
Tiaris

Update on the Turquoise pair - they didn't have young before when I thought it was a possibility but they certainly do now. Both cock & hen going to & from the termite bowl & nest regularly & doing the same with small mealies, moths & smashed up mealworm pupae. I found a couple of eggshells on the aviary floor this morning too. They were taking so long I was starting to think they must have failed but not so (not yet at least). Fingers still crossed & plenty of good tucker going their way.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Way to go Tiaris....pete
Tintola

Good work, keep those fingers crossed. What other live food are you offering?
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Tiaris

The only other one they have ready access to is drosophila. Termites & various sized mealworms constantly available and moths once a day (now) and I pick out the soft, freshly moulted MW pupae a couple of times a day as they really love them.
Tintola

That variety should get them through beautifully! :thumbup:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
natamambo

Well done Tiaris. The babies are soooo cute when they fledge. If mum isn't rung get on to that quick once the littlies fledge, you can't pick them from mum within a week or so.

Return to “Splendid Wren”