white Hawk

ruthieharris

Wow you lucky thing how gorgeous :thumbup:
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~
Mortisha

That is good to know the newspaper report was wrong nrg800.
Would be a worry otherwise.

I'm in awe of the local goshawk here, a mature bird will seriously efficient hunting skills. Definitely a stealth hunter.
Keeps the local sparrow,indian mynas and starling population well down.
Catches at least one a day that I witness.
Never hangs around my aviary though.
djb78

Stunning bird ok added to my wish list.
Danny
gomer

I see a white one at home most days. I assumed it is a osprey maybe it is. I am yet to see it on the aviary not like the other hawks. Nice photo.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
natamambo

Actually, NRG is not quite right. Firstly, The Grey Goshawk is not threatened in general but this was a white morph which is rarer but I have never seen a count of each morph. Secondly the grey goshawk is on the Threatened list in Vic where the white is more common but overall is quite rare (Gomer the osprey has much darker wings and lighter head than a grey goshawk). Remember bird shot was in Vic, so again article is kind of on right track even if numbers are for Tas.

The main reason the morphs are not subspecies is range - white more common in south of range and extreme north West WA with grey more common in the middle, if range was more discreet they may well be considered subspecies.

As for worldwide numbers, most are in Oz but they also occur on islands to north - PNG, Solomon's and others near them.
malibu_birdie

We had the white morph visiting my aviaries on a daily basis for a month or so last year. Stunning bird up close. My birds didn't appreciate the visits though. Luckily I never lost any from fright.

Return to “Anything else”