New Article: Red-Billed Quelea: Keeping the World’s Most Num

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
findi

Hi All,

Although attracting less attention than European Starlings and other common birds, Red-Billed Queleas (Quelea quelea) outnumber them all. Yet despite being dubbed the “Locust Bird” for its habit of moving in flocks containing millions of individuals, this attractive African weaver is surprisingly difficult to breed in captivity. Read article here: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdb ... rous-bird/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comments and questions appreciated,

Thanks, Frank
http://twitter.com/#!/findiviglio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000972624553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bio: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdb ... vian-blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SamDavis

Thanks Frank. I was aware of their vast flocks (great video link) but not aware of the vast differences in cock plumage. If someone can crack breeding them in captivity I suspect the various colour morphs would prove to make them popular.
findi

Thanks, Sam...I was thinking the same, amazing potential for developing unique color morphs. I'm wondering if there is a certain minimum number, or density, required, as seems to be with others. \I addition to the flamingo example, had trouble breeding birds of paradise and cock-of-the-rocks as well; 3 males didn't seem to do it (or maybe all were just bad performers!).

Best, Frank
E Orix

The Quelea is inmost parts found in small groups,the problem is when they have the right conditions they literally have a population
explosion just like avian Lemmings .As an aviary bird I personally don't think there would be a problem breeding them if certains steps were taken. Aviary setup and size would be paramount and quite a group put together.Like alot of colony breeders once one pair starts to get interested in breeding it will set the rest off.
Sadly the stock I had was far too old to really be interested to breed,I also had the pink phase with and white face it was referred to as the Russ's Weaver. I only wish we had some good young stock to work with because there are breeders here in Aust.who would succeed
arthur

by arthur on 31 Dec 2010, 16:21

These birds were available here in the early/ mid '70's . . . well a handful of them anyway; along with about the same number of a colour-morph of the Red-billed called Russ' Weaver

They were probably 'old age pensioners' who 'went on holiday' from aviary to aviary, because they never bred despite their awesome reputation for 'fecundity'. Apparently they need the social pressure of the flock situation to stimulate breeding . . . or maybe they were just past it

A mate of mine had one pair of each, and while he was a pretty dab hand at breeding, he couldn't get them to reproduce . .and they continued on their round Australia trip

Can't recall the price . . was probably 'up there', but can't remember it as astronomical

These weavers are currently 'prohibited birds' in Queensland . . and probably so in most other states as well but back in the 'good old days' prior to aviary registration (1970??) nobody cared much about the status of foreign birds . . . and the smoke went up the chimney just the same
findi

arthur wrote:by arthur on 31 Dec 2010, 16:21

These birds were available here in the early/ mid '70's . . . well a handful of them anyway; along with about the same number of a colour-morph of the Red-billed called Russ' Weaver

They were probably 'old age pensioners' who 'went on holiday' from aviary to aviary, because they never bred despite their awesome reputation for 'fecundity'. Apparently they need the social pressure of the flock situation to stimulate breeding . . . or maybe they were just past it

A mate of mine had one pair of each, and while he was a pretty dab hand at breeding, he couldn't get them to reproduce . .and they continued on their round Australia trip

Can't recall the price . . was probably 'up there', but can't remember it as astronomical

These weavers are currently 'prohibited birds' in Queensland . . and probably so in most other states as well but back in the 'good old days' prior to aviary registration (1970??) nobody cared much about the status of foreign birds . . . and the smoke went up the chimney just the same

Thanks for the chuckle...they are not seen much here in the states; I worked for an importer in the '70's, when regs were minimal here as well, and there were some amazingly talented people breeding a variety of birds...I learned at least as much then as I did in all my zoo years, probably more in some regards. I've had pother weavers breed in fairly small groups (Golden, red bishops) but as you suggest there is a stimulant missing with these fellows...best, Frank
Netsurfer

findi wrote:Thanks, Sam...I was thinking the same, amazing potential for developing unique color morphs. I'm wondering if there is a certain minimum number, or density, required, as seems to be with others. \I addition to the flamingo example, had trouble breeding birds of paradise and cock-of-the-rocks as well; 3 males didn't seem to do it (or maybe all were just bad performers!).

Best, Frank
Wow Cock of the Rock, beautiful bird but not a good aviary bird. I've seen the yellow and the red varieties people trying to breed. They are extremely noisy, if not the noisiest bird in the world, if you put two or three male in with female you wouldn't be able to hear yourself thinking! :lol: :lol: :lol:
findi

Netsurfer wrote:
findi wrote:Thanks, Sam...I was thinking the same, amazing potential for developing unique color morphs. I'm wondering if there is a certain minimum number, or density, required, as seems to be with others. \I addition to the flamingo example, had trouble breeding birds of paradise and cock-of-the-rocks as well; 3 males didn't seem to do it (or maybe all were just bad performers!).

Best, Frank
Wow Cock of the Rock, beautiful bird but not a good aviary bird. I've seen the yellow and the red varieties people trying to breed. They are extremely noisy, if not the noisiest bird in the world, if you put two or three male in with female you wouldn't be able to hear yourself thinking! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes.. and such a unique quality to the call..I know less than nothing about music, but there is certainly something special about the notes they produce. I was very lucky; they were in a huge, heavily-planted exhibit; unfortunately, we never got the chance to expand the zoo's population and work with them more seriously. Some of the footage that's appeared on various BBC shows has been incredible....best, Frank

Return to “For any species not listed below”