quail

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Quail can be grown in a incubator ?

Aside from Jap and Bob Whites please ?
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Californians and Aussie brown and Red leg partridge are other species i have incubator bred
VR1Ton

Any, but would no recommend trying Button-Quail of any sort as they need to be feed live food by the cock for about a week. Although, I can just picture you Deb, with a pair of tweezer trying to feed a penut Alicia Silverstone style :lol:
BluJay

Most I am aware of, Jusdeb, button quail, I did by the hundreds, some how a friend and I even came up with some that we called chocolate. I have never had any problems, with the golden, ringneck, bob whites, california valley, coturnix or others. About the same as hatching chickens.

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok hmm VR1 sounds like hard work so might leave buttons for now ..
Ive just given my Jap eggs away but have a few King eggs from my Silver girl who woulf rather play soccer with them than sit on ....this might be fun .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
BluJay

Jusdeb, if you have an incubator, once they hatch, just give them a good qaulity chicken starter, make sure they have good surface to walk so they don't get straddle legged. Marbles in water dish.

BluJay

Has six GQF Sportsman Incubators, running all season

Tintola

BluJay wrote:Most I am aware of, Jusdeb, button quail, I did by the hundreds, ]
Deb, I think BluJay's reference to button quail is what we know as King Quail, Not the true Button Quail native to Australia.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BluJay wrote:Jusdeb, if you have an incubator, once they hatch, just give them a good qaulity chicken starter, make sure they have good surface to walk so they don't get straddle legged. Marbles in water dish
Bluejay you have had no problems with Chicken Starter? I always used Turkey Starter...found better growth and minimal losses.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
BluJay

No, no problems with chicken starter, only time I ever lost any is if they were able to knock a marble out of the waterer, rather thin lid, which I used for the first 72 hours, or the small quail waterers.

As for the Jap or what I know as coturnix, I did lots of the Texas A&M, as it was developed to be the chicken replacer, it is an all white meat bird. It is also pleasing to the eye, it is snow white with a black dot on the back of the head.
Here is an overflow of a days collection of eggs, my sis had fill a 3 gallon bucket up, I collected what she missed.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”