feeding canarys

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VinceS ....I think you would be better off feeding anything but Lettuce....Spinach, or Bok Choy, for example....as there is not really any nutrition in Lettuce..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
VinceS

oh, OK. Didn't think of that! Sounds entirely sensible, thank you for pointing it out

Russel Kingston (in his big book) lists lettuce at the top of his list, and Rocket which "we can do that" is what we put in there - brain not required! However we have since started seedlings of silverbeet, bokchoy and more rocket (it was the first to go) to put in the trashed trays. I am giving them half a lebanese cucumber a day as obviously everyone loves it. I just cut the half into quarters lengthways and I don't know who does it but they end up typically 1 - 2m away from where I put them as a skin only reject about a day and a half later. I have watched them plenty of times, they only peck at it, so who is skull dragging the strips away I have no idea. Just swapped the avatar to a seagreen parrot finch pecking at the stuff, he/she didn't move it.

My suspicion is it is like children, whatever plans we may have / try to implement we just soften up and give them what they want while ever they behave, we are their slaves! But I know there will be a way that this happens conveniently, just have to crack it.......
Some days are Diamonds some days are Zebs. Sometimes the coccidiosis won't leave me alone. Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my Gouldians. But any day with my finches is a day without stones.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VinceS wrote: Russel Kingston (in his big book) lists lettuce at the top of his list, and Rocket which "we can do that" is what we put in there - brain not required! However we have since started seedlings of silverbeet, bokchoy and more rocket (it was the first to go) to put in the trashed trays. I am giving them half a lebanese cucumber a day as obviously everyone loves it. I just cut the half into quarters lengthways and I don't know who does it but they end up typically 1 - 2m away from where I put them as a skin only reject about a day and a half later. I have watched them plenty of times, they only peck at it, so who is skull dragging the strips away I have no idea..
If Quail are able to reach Leb/Cucumber they could be culprits or the Canaries...but as you would know all your little inmates cherish it.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Canaries”