Breeding behaviour

Includes Species Profile
SamDavis

This is the first pair of Yellow Wings I've had. They started incubating about 4 weeks ago so in theory any chicks should be about 2 weeks old but I'm yet to hear any begging sounds from the nest. One parent is always on the nest and the other seems to be taking more termites than usual. I don't dare inspect the nest. Are the chicks really quiet, or should I be able to hear them by now?
djb78

Good going Sam after the nesting speed hump, can't answer but there are some chicks I've had that should make sound but haven't so fingers crossed that's what happened for you.
Danny
SamDavis

Thanks Danny. I'm really pleased they settled down in a real nest. It's an old plumhead or star nest they've renovated. I still haven't heard any chick noises but I did try to shine a torch in from a distance and I think I spotted chick poop at the rear of the nest. Might have been old poop from the plumhead/star chicks - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
SamDavis

Too much incubation behaviour for too long so I just had a looksy. Silly buggers were sitting on two rotten eggs - for about 5 weeks now. Hopefully they'll begin again.
Tiaris

Good luck next round. They are quiet beggers - I've never heard them begging prior to fledging.
SamDavis

Tiaris wrote:Good luck next round. They are quiet beggers - I've never heard them begging prior to fledging.
Thanks Graham - great info. However I might not have shoved my fingers in the nest just yet if I knew you'd never heard them begging prior to fledging.
I just went and checked them and it appears the hen is back sitting in the empty nest - strange birds these gold wings.
Tiaris

Sorry Sam, I only saw the thread this arvo or would have responded earlier.

They're quiet birds over all actually. Flat out hearing them begging even after fledging.

The only time I hear them from a distance is during the courtship dance which they always perform on the front of my metal seed hoppers so I hear the cocks feet bouncing on the sheet metal.
SamDavis

No need to apologise - as the eggs were no good it's turned out your comment was perfectly timed.
I'm yet to see any courtship dance at all and I seldom hear a sound from them apart from the odd contact call. This morning they're hanging around the nest so hopefully they get going again rapidly.
mr skeeter

just got a nest of 4 out on maggots / small mealworms they must be small 3 times a day 5 pairs set up so I'm hoping to build up the numbers, cheers mick.
Tiaris

That's great Mick. 4 is a good clutch for them too.
I remember John Albert saying years ago that he bred them consistently well on maggots & a few mealies. I recently had a pair of Melbas rear 2 clutches of 2 on just baby mealies fed 2-3 times/day too so the little ones must be better food value than full size.

Return to “Yellow Winged Pytilia”