Red Crested Finch

shnapper20

I too have just aquired a pr of red crested finches, I intend to place them in a well planted mixed aviary approx 7*4m in size. I have been feeding live food mainly maggots for several yrs now and believe I can supply enough food during the breeding season.
I have 2 possible lists for fellow inhabitants, I would appreciate any input people are prepared to give . I currently keep all these birds and it is a matter of shuffling them around my other 2 aviaries to achieve the two lists.
1/ grenadier weavers ....................2/ grenadier weavers
tri-nuns.................................... tri-nuns
diamond firetails ........................diamond firetails
double bars ..............................tri colored parrot finch
superb wrens .............................cubans
cubans..................................... red crested finch
red crested finch

the cubans and wrens have coexisted for several months with no sign of agro, the wrens have shown no agro at all that I have observed in the past 12 mths. The number of birds I intend to hold works out at roughly 1bird/ 2 square meters. Im hoping to keep stress levels low by using these numbers. Ive tried to keep the wrens apart from the tpf. My prefered list is no. 1. I dont think I can house the tpf and the wrens together so I would possibly have to sell one breed if these lists arent workable . thanks in advance. john
Last edited by shnapper20 on 07 May 2018, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tiaris

I think the main issue you may encounter during Spring/summer is that the weavers, wrens & red-cresteds all have a very high livefood requirement and it would take an extremely generous livefood supply for competition to not turn into aggression during the breeding season. ie. I suggest sufficient quantity to ensure constant ad lib livefood access 24/7 during the breeding season. They would also greatly benefit from some larger insects (mealworms, moths,etc) during the breeding season.
shnapper20

thanks for the reply tiaris. I've been using sam davis method for breeding magots he posted on youtube, it absolutely kicks you can double, triple or what ever you like depending how many tubs you place in the box for striking. Having said that,there is always human error and I could keep a kg of mealies on standby or order some and they usually deliver within a couple of days. I intend to revisit my attempt at breeding mealie worms and hopefully have more success as Im retired now and can afford to give them a bit more effort. Though you are right I may have to introduce another feed station as well. Fingers crossed I can achieve the food supply, I take it you feel list 1 should work. (should have previewed my first post, its fixed now)
Last edited by shnapper20 on 07 May 2018, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tiaris

Thats good. I would still keep a very close eye them come Spring (especially the wrens) & err on the side of less pairs & less heavily insectivorous ones in the same enclosure. Good luck with them.
arthur

I have always strongly advocated against wrens in mixed company . . based on first hand disasters

Others deride my advice . .

There was an article in Jan '13 Newsletter on RCF's but others have told me that it cannot now be accessed

Happy to PM it if you are interested
shnapper20

you are possibly right, but these wrens are possibly generations into being domesticated. Ive seen them at the seed bowl appearing to eat seed. This particular cock was being harassed by a cuban and just kept running away from it, until I removed the cuban . The new cuban seems to get on fine with him. The other thing is the crested is a lot bigger than most finches.
shnapper20

arthur I never read the article. I would be more than interested to read it, if you dont mind passing it on. thankyou john
SteveP

Hi John,

FYI and this is only my experience.

About 3 years ago, i had a pair of red cresteds mixed with approx 7-8 pairs of other finches (Aussies and Africans) in a well planted aviary 7m x 2.5m and all was harmonious until the red cresteds had young for the first time (this was about 8 months after being housed together in the same aviary). A couple of days after the eggs hatched the cock crested become murderous and in the morning I woke up to about 4-5 dead birds. Basically anything that had red on it had been killed. I specifically remember losing a red faced pytilia cock, 2 diamonds, strawberry, etc. and it was clear that they were attacked until they were killed.

This was despite ample livefood on offer in the way of maggots and termites. Not being able to accomodate single pairs, I had no choice but to move them on. They are still a favourite of mine and spectacular but I've simple accepted that my mixed aviaries don't suit keeping this species.

Cheers
Steve
shnapper20

thank you steve after reviewing what has been said my wrens are going.
this is the list ive decided to keep owls, diamonds, tri-nuns, plumbheads, weavers,cubans and the red crested finch. the person I bought them off told me they were fine with weavers so the only maybe is the diamonds.
Craig52

Shnapper they are too aggressive to breed in a mixed colony of any finch type but breed fairly well on their own but can be aggressive to each other.
Yes they are a striking bird but best bred on their own, don't get sucked in by others saying they are a communal bird. These birds are starting to become scarce for one reason,as i said above. Craig

Return to “Red Crested Finch”