Red Crested Finch

west finch

Dose any one have any experience with the Red Crested Finch ? I know they like a lot of live food . But it has been written in some books that they can be aggressive ! Has any one found this to be the case ? Some breeders I’ve spoke to disagree with this . What’s Your experiences ???
Work smarter not harder !
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Father bred a few many years ago...had his best success with them in a planted aviary by themselves...from memory it was about 3.5mtrs long and 1.2mtrs wide fully roofed.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Danny

I have one male that killed all his offspring as soon as they fledged for the first season but has been perfect ever since. Mine all live as single pairs because they deserve to be so I can't comment on other birds. RH breeds them with no reported aggression in with a plethora of species.
Weaver

I have been breeding these guys for more than 10 years now. They will become very agressive if their live food is interupted when they have young. Similarly if live food is short they will kill their own offspring.
However if the food is kept up to them then they are no problem (for me) in mixed collections. I keep them with waxbills, siskins weavers etc with no issues.
west finch

Thanks for the reply’s Danny , weaver and vettepilot . they may be challenging to breed.
jnorriss

Have just seen this topic. Have not been aware of this bird and have never seen them at bird sales etc. I am looking for a project challenge in my new aviary and something like this seems interesting. I would like to take on something that would expand the available number.....any comment please
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There very pretty and like a planted aviary and 1 pair per aviary as there aggressive to other pairs and cost around $1200 A Pair from memory
E Orix

There are a few around,I've seen them recently selling for around $1200 pair at bird sales but to me that is top $.
The easiest way of describing them is they look like a big Fire finch with extras.
The other way is to Google them for pictures
As for breeding,they are not too hard to breed providing you supply all that they require.
Personally I feel you need a reasonable amount of expience in breeding birds that require more livefood than normal
before they should be aquired.
As for the bird I really like them
west finch

A very nice finch plenty of character :thumbup: and as Orix has said really love the live food :shock: .They eat all they find (Moths) and is offered(crickets & maggots) and it’s not even breeding season for them. not for the beginner unless you can keep up the live food supply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jnorriss

E Orix wrote:There are a few around,I've seen them recently selling for around $1200 pair at bird sales but to me that is top $.
The easiest way of describing them is they look like a big Fire finch with extras.
The other way is to Google them for pictures
As for breeding,they are not too hard to breed providing you supply all that they require.
Personally I feel you need a reasonable amount of expience in breeding birds that require more livefood than normal
before they should be aquired.
As for the bird I really like them
Thanks to you and FINCHES247 for info....money maybe a problem for time being..

Return to “Red Crested Finch”