green finch

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
amalan11

Anyone got Greenfinchs? they look a bit like a canary ..someone recomended a pair and they would be put in with my canarys.I read they can be killers with smaller birds so no finchs would be near them
djb78

I was going to get a pair of wild caught ones but changed my mind as I didn't think they would settle with my current selection. Didn't know that they are nasty but glad now as I would have had them in with a few of mixed colonies. I do know that they can breed with canaries so I would be a bit careful there as they will produce mules.
Danny
Netsurfer

I think Rootyhills Bird Shop had some last week, if you're interested in Himalayan Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Red Siskin or Grenadier or Madagascar Weavers they've got them as well. Phone: 9625 9170.
E Orix

I have got a small group in my big aviary.
While I can't comment on them in small cages or aviaries in my set up they are no problems at all.
A few years ago I had 3 Golden Cypress and the Green Finches literally bred spring to the end of Autumn
Since we cut the Cypress down their breeding has not been as prolific.
I still like them and the cockbirds are quite attractive and sing through the breeding season(no canary though)
One of our Forum members has already put his hand up for what ever young I have available.
There are a number of people in Melbourne breeding the mutations of the Greenfinch but I just like the normals.
Years ago some person colour fed a cockbird and it's colour changed quite dramatically.The yellow turned to Pinkish Orange and the body colour
had a pink wash through from memory.The changed yellow feathers stood out.The judge didn't accept it.
amalan11

ok,thanks sounds like no ones had them being overly aggressive then.Im just thinking of getting a plain pair for $40 aprox.I will see as he says he will get both captive and wild caught types and I do not want wild caught as I think unless you have a big avery its to hard on the birds.
I was told they have a lovely song so thats interesting that they are not as good as a canary.I heard my 2 rollers singing today at last and they are very good singers .
Im thinking that I would seperate the greenfinchs in season and put them in a breeding cage so they dont breed with the canarys in September ,its another reason I would have to get captive bred.I think a wild caught would just kill itself in a breeding cage
Craig52

Amalan11, I just received my copy of Just Finches and Softbills today,there's a four page artical on green finches,their keeping and breeding,feeding and mutations.If you dont get you may be able to borrow it from someone who does in your area.The artical is by Paul *censored* the editor of JFS. Cheers Craig
Netsurfer

Check this out, scrawl down to about a middle of the page these are my Greenfinches:
http://www.discussion.1accesshost.com/index11.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djb78

Ok here's a question that's got me stumped, why is the male worth more than the hen? I can get a cock for $6-8 while the hen is only $4 wild caught of course. Most finches i know of the males are always cheaper or the same.
Danny
roma9009

probably because the male is brighter could also be that they use males to cross with canarys to produce mules
Myzomela

...and the males sing!
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Non Specific Questions”