Whiteface

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
desertbirds

Im looking to venture into something different later this year. Does anybody know if there are any Whiteface in captivity ? I regularly see Southern Whiteface here in the bush but as an aviary bird they dont have the colours that seem to appeal to most people.I think Banded Whiteface and Chestnut -breasted would make ideal aviary birds and a great stepping stone into softbills as they eat a fair amount of seed.Do softbill keepers think this species would be popular or are there already enough species to choose from. As it may not appear on the list of species able to be held in some states i see this as a bit of a hurdle as well. Any thoughts ?

Picture borrowed off the net.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I know they are not on the list over here in WA. Its that small I have it commited to memory( the list that is), what size are they compared to a chat.. pete
desertbirds

The book says 10cm to 12cm , i would say all of 12cm . Similar size to chats and i regularly see them feeding with chats, budgies, zebs and thornbills.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to see lots of Southern Whiteface feeding with Redbrows on my grandparents farm, and next to the redheads they looked small... I imagine they'd be fairly compatible though.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
MadHatter

I have only ever seen 1 Whiteface in captivity (Southern) which was at Melbourne Zoo in with their Zebs. this was 5-10 years ago and I did not have an opportunity to chat to the keepers about the bird's history at the time. I assumed it was captured along with wild Zebbies for the collection (and perhaps mistaken for a juvenile zeb) as the 2 species are reported to form mixed flocks.
Someone at MZ might be able to supply more info on their husbandry if you get in touch with them.

Return to “For any species not listed below”