can you sex this one??

Includes Species Profile
venetta

I know you can't necessarily sex these guys from just their heads, but I was hoping I could just post some pics and get an idea of what people might think.

We picked up a new aviary on the weekend and it came with a few birds, one being a male rfpf, but Kylie is thinking there is a possibility that it's a female..

I know this isn't necessarily anything to go off, but it does have a pink leg band, and it would make sense that people would band blue for boys and pink for girls right?? LOL
We haven't heard it sing or anything, but it's not necessarily going to if it doesn't have a mate of the opposite sex nearby?

Here are some photos, would love people's thoughts..
rfpf1.jpg
rfpf2.jpg
rfpf3.jpg
We could try and get a photo of it's vent as we've heard that can tell sometimes too.. But it seems a little unwell at the moment (think it has heavy asm infestation), so is inside for the next few days. Don't want to stress it out anymore than we have so far..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venetta and Kylie
rip64

First look - I think young Male, would like to also see front on.
venetta

Here are some more pics, best I can get being front on really...
rfpf4.jpg
IMAG0353.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venetta and Kylie
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

its a 50 50 chance at this point I would say boy, can you here it trilling if all else fails vent sex it. or are there any red feathers around the vent....looks like a boy but looks thats not always 100% .....pete
BluJay

Beautiful bird, Venneta!
Tiaris

Male.
gomer

The first photos male. The second looks like a different bird due to dull light. But I will stick with male.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

The bird is too young to be visually sexed at the moment as i shows signs of both male and female.The black between the eye and bill is in all young and dissapears later in the male were as hens hold it in most cases.There is a break in the red at the back of the eye but there's still pin feathers to break in that area as well.Can you give us another pic in a month or two Venetta? Cheers Craig
Tiaris

The black lores don't disappear completely in all males. It is generally less pronounced than females but most males retain some blackness there. If it is not a mature bird then I'd definitely say it is male. It would take a far brighter than average hen to show that much red colour behind the eye as a youngish bird. The green on the belly also shows some reflective sheen which hens tend to lack. Another area I'd check is the vent (butt) - if there are any red feathers here this would indicate it as a cock. Some (very few) hens do show some red feathers here but usually only very mature ones with outstanding red colour traits.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

100% sure its a cockbird

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”