Mixed Finch Aviary

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
lestra

We are wanting to have a mixed finch aviary with king quail in it.
I was wondering what combinations people have in their mixed finch aviaries? What have you found that works well?
We are starting with Gouldian's as they are my husband's favourite.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With gouldians you can have almost any non aggressive finch, some nice ones might be painted finches, cordon blues, bengalese, star and more gouldian :thumbup:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have had Gouldians with Fires,Cordons,Spice,Plumheads Red and Blue Faced Parrot Finches and Stars in a Mixed aviary.Thet all get on well.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with Jaybird plus Ruddies,Orange Breasts Finch, ....Bengalese although peacefull can be overly attentive to other birds nesting and may disturb them (also dont they harbour some bug that affects Gouldians?)
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bengalese annoy smaller and shy finches but try and take other all possible nests when they can when they want unlike Spice they keep out of way and quite shy
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have Bengos and Gouldians together. Strict rules. More Gouldians than Bengos and a holding avairy to remove the Bengos to from time to time. They will take 1st choice of nests most of the time. Even took over the Cubans nest. :crazy: So have at least 2 or 3 more nests than pairs of finches. I keep what I love, regardless, and make sure to allow for them.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

vettepilot_6 wrote:Agree with Jaybird plus Ruddies,Orange Breasts Finch, ....Bengalese although peacefull can be overly attentive to other birds nesting and may disturb them (also dont they harbour some bug that affects Gouldians?)
Found what I was looking for about Bengalese although it is about fostering they do harbour disease which can wipe out a flock of goulds in no time...here is link to article by Mike Fidler (bout halfway down)

http://www.birdsrus.com.au/mike-fidler.html
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
djb78

I have kept gouldians in different flights with all the above as well as Cubans, st helenas and strawberries. Found that most gouldians to go well with all except one male when he had a nest. He was attacking all the went to the back of the flight and even started on canaries. Try and keep to finches that have a placid nature and you shouldn't go wrong.
Danny
lestra

I am thinking some Orange Breasted, Ruddies, Tri-colour Parrot Finch, Star Finches and if I can't get these locally for a good price then Blue Faced and Red Faced parrot finches.
What do you think? will this be a good mix with the Gouldians and Quail?
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dont mix Red Face,Blue Face and Tri Colour Parrot Finches alltogether they may hybridize

Return to “Non Specific Questions”