"Breeders" Finch Mix

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
E Orix

I get my seedmix from a chap that grows most himself. He has been supplying me since the early 90's
His mix is simple but always clean and shiny and has a very high sprout rate I test every shipment.
I actually use his Budgie mix rather than his finch mix. The mix is simply Yellow and White Millet,Plain Canary(25%+) and smaller percentages of Jap and Red Millet.No black or other filler seeds. Wastage is virtually zero, I also feed seperately Red Millet and my birds eat that greadily.
These days it costs around $1 per KG which includes freight and GST($20 per bag),Finch mix is a couple of Dollars cheaper from memory
It doesn't matter what your seed costs as long as it is of good quality and you are satisfied.To get that price I buy a ton each time.
matcho

A ton???? :crazy: My shed wouldn't be big enough! :lol: :lol:
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Judging from how much we loaded into your trailer last time, it'd last me three or four years :lol:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Myzomela

Jayburd,

It just means you need to build more aviaries and keep more birds! :)
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ha - yes I should... Just you wait till I get my own place :mrgreen:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbird2012

E Orix a Ton at a time wow!!!! i take it you have a lot of birds or very very big birds lol.
lemnosian

Following up and old posting
My dad, an accredited seed grower with 70 plus years experience used to say shed sweepings were good enough for bird seed if you wanted a colorful and varied bag of seed
When it came to shiny and glossy bags ... he would say its not what hype is printed on the bag, but more, the quality of seed in the bag and whether it would germinate when planted
A finch seed mix will contain numerous seed types and varying quantities
A finch breeder mix should contain specific quality seeds only
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And 20kg bags are now round $70 here in the wild west. I buy a bag of Budgie Breeders Mix and a bag of Finch Mix to = the mix I think best for my finches. It sprouts well and is mostly WA grown seed with the occasional addition of seed from the other side. My finches like their mix heavy on the white millet and low on the canary.
LML
lemnosian

There should be a big difference between a bird mix/blend and a breeder inspired grain mix
These being quality and cost
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The budgie breeders mix is heavy on white millett and contains no hulled oats. It was designed by a small group of WA's top show budgie breeders for their show stock, and submitted to Consolidated to produce. In view of the fact that 3 of these people are located in my town and they all buy quite decent quantities of seed Consolidated was happy to meet their requirements. Particularly as they and some other birdos in town have been recommending it to those who buy birds off us, and their sales have increased accordingly.
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”