"Breeders" Finch Mix

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
matcho

When I was at the Cessnock sale I bought a 20kg bag of "Breeder" Finch Mix from one of the seed merchants there. It was a couple of bucks dearer than the "normal" bags of finch mix and had the word "Breeder" written on the sack in texta. Printing on sack says it was packed by a seed/grain company in Narrabri. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two, if any? I haven't opened it yet so I cant comment if it looks any different to the normal mix I purchase from the produce store.

Cheers

Matcho.
Myzomela

Matcho which seed merchant was it? One had little containers with samples of the mixes so you could see what seeds were in them.
The otherPossibly one didn't.

I would expect perhaps more plain canary in the breeder mix? possibly some herb seeds as well?

You won't really know, I suspect, until you open the bag.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Tiaris

If you can post a close-up photo of your "breeder" mix, I'll try to identify the component seeds for you. As Myzo said a higher proportion of canary seed or other higher value component seeds is likely to increase the price of any mix. The basic millets are the cheaper seeds and cheaper mixes are likely to comprise a majority of these.
matcho

Seed is labelled "FTC Seeds" "Farm to you" Both seeds look very similar although the "breeders" does appear to have more canary. Not having a "trained" eye. I can't really tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VR1Ton

Fordham Trading Co. at Narrabri. Looks more like a standard mix to me.

Red, White, Pannorama (yellow), Canary, & Shiroe (light brown, squarish). The black ones in there are Liverweed, I think, it's just a weed that gets into the crop, & is hard to get it all out.
matcho

Oh well, if that is the case at least I saved $14 compared to if I bought it from the produce store. Doesn't that p.ss you off? :evil: How can they justify that and at bird sales as well?
Tiaris

It does seem to have a reasonably high proportion of canary seed compared to most finch mixes so this may be the reason for the price premium.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It might refer to the fact that if you're buying twenty kg, you're probably a breeder :lolno: ... It doesn't actually say "breeder mix".
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
matcho

Jayburd wrote:It might refer to the fact that if you're buying twenty kg, you're probably a breeder :lolno: ... It doesn't actually say "breeder mix".
So why is the 20kg bag of "Breeder" dearer than 20kg bag of "normal" pray tell? Funny, when I went to school B..R..E..E..D..E..R spelt "breeder" and when added to "Finch mix' underneath one would assume it was a "Breeder Finch Mix". Maybe I read too much into it! You know what they say about "assume"- it makes an "ass of u and me!"
SamDavis

matcho wrote:Oh well, if that is the case at least I saved $14 compared to if I bought it from the produce store.
$14 is a big difference in cost for a single bag given finch mix is usually about $20 a bag. Are you saying your local produce store charges $14 more than you paid at the sale?

Return to “Diet & Food”