Problem With Ruddies

Includes Species Profile
Harvey11

Ruddies had 3 eggs in the nest and noticed the other day that 2 had been thrown out of the nest.???

Thanks
harv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Hard to see from the photo but the nest looks to be flat with no rise of material at the front to prevent eggs being dragged out when an adult leaves the nest. Maybe give them some feathers to make a bit more of a nest chamber next round. A small enclosed cane basket would be a more useful receptacle for them & Ruddies tend to like nesting in these.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would think the same, does not look like enough nest material, you need to put a lot more grasses etc for them to build a nest proper...The way it is as soon as Ruddie comes out so would the eggs..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
djb78

Harvey would have to agree not much of a nest. Mine like to make a dome nest which is deeper than long. Try and add more material and see if they try and build it better. What I have used with success is the cane/wicker finch baskets and heaps of feathers.
Danny
jnorriss

Would have to agree re lack of nesting material. Mine build quite compact nests and line with LOTS of feathers. One male I called "the decorator" because he took all the feathers that we supplied and had to keep up the supply as he insisted on lining every nest even those used by other birds. One thing I did learn is to keep up the termites as initially I was a bit slack and found the male of the first pair flying around with one young in his beak which he dropped away from the nest and then did the same thing with another so only ended up with two young. Now make sure I keep up the termites and have not had problems since.
spoton

Hey Harvey,

Know the feeling of eggs being tossed out / falling out. My ruddies prefer the longer than usual cane/wicker tubes (with the bulb shape at the closed end). I have also found that by slightly raising the front of the nest tube (I use a white plastic tube over a small length of wire runing from the mouth of the nest tube back to the cage side, the plastic tube is "hobby or craft" tubing and is about 5-6mm diameter and you should be able to get it from a craft type shop) it helps to prevent eggs rolling forward in the nest.

As for nesting materials, my birds luv white feathers, fine grasses and did I mention white feathers???? They make a white cocoon at the bulb end of the nest and will quite often have a feather or 2 sheilding the actual nest from the outside world. many times all you can see is a little eye peering out as you look in the end.

I have found (and been advised) not to disturb the nesting pair at all and that also helps to reduce egg loss / abandonment.

Darryl
Harvey11

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
I will get down to the local pet shop and get some feathers and a better nest for them.
I will confess i have been looking in the nest a bit to much.

Harv
djb78

Well Harvey you'll also have to look at some live food also when eggs being laid. Ruddies will also chuck chicks if live food isn't present so another thing to add to the list. Good luck.
Danny
Harvey11

Just an update on my ruddies,they have layed 2 clutches in the cabinet with no luck.
So I have moved them into my avairy and they quickly built a nest in a cane nest,i think there is about 4 eggs in there and they are sitting on them.They do seem to like the avairy and the open spaces,i notice they spend a lot of time on the floor of the avairy.

Harv :thumbup:
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds good Harvey, they do like a bit of room to muck around :D good luck!!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Ruddie/Firefinch”