King Quail Eggs.???

Harvey11

My King Quail have started laying eggs in the avairy.The hen started about 1 week ago laying 2 eggs then stopped.now 1 week later another 3 in a row.
The eggs are all over the avairy.????
Today i noticed that it looks like they are building a nest right near the water dish with 1 egg in it at the front of the avairy,i don't think its a good spot because it can get a bit if rain in that part of the avairy and when i fill the water up it can splash onto the nest.

Any advice would be great

Harv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They'll often lay them all over, then roll them into place later. I wouldn't touch them :)
you can either build a little shelter over them (simple as putting a dense leafy branch over the top) or remove all the eggs and hope they choose somewhere else.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
iaos

Is it just the photo or are they two hens?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yup both hens, but you have a male don't you Harv?
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Finch_Breeder

No male=non fertile
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
Harvey11

Yes i have 2 hens and 1 male in the avairy.

Harv`
iaos

Harvey11 wrote:Yes i have 2 hens and 1 male in the avairy.

Harv`
:thumbup:
mattymeischke

I agree that you should just leave them, let the quails move them to where they want them.

Funnily enough, I took this photo of a very similar looking quail to ask what this mutation is called. Is is cinnamon?
Brown KQs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Harveys pic shows a cinnamon and a normal hen. Your pic matty is a cinnamon hen. :thumbup:
LML
LML
fishdance

I have a male and two females too. They usually raise 3-4 babies each brood but have not hatched a single chick the last 3 lots of eggs. They sometimes have 15 eggs! I suspect it's just too cold for them. They laid some more recently so I decided to self incubator. Does anyone here have much experience incubation? I made a small incubator heated with 10 watt bulb, fan forced thermostat controlled and can vary relative humidity with vents. Google says 37.8 degrees Celcius . I aim for 40% humidity and turn eggs 3 times a day. They sat on eggs first 2days before I took them. I'm not sure how long till hatch or when to stop turning. Can't wait till it's warm weather again so they can brood naturally. I prefer to watch the family interaction.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”