Star finches preferred nesting site?

Includes Species Profile.
Finch_Breeder

Do stars prefer to nest in artificial nest sites ie: nest boxes/wicker nests, Or do they prefer nesting in dense brush/foilage?
Cheers, Mike :thumbup:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finch_Breeder wrote:Do stars prefer to nest in artificial nest sites ie: nest boxes/wicker nests, Or do they prefer nesting in dense brush/foilage?
All the Stars I have bred have always built own nests in grasses or low shrubs...and do not like any hint of nest inspections... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Finch_Breeder

vettepilot_6 wrote:
Finch_Breeder wrote:Do stars prefer to nest in artificial nest sites ie: nest boxes/wicker nests, Or do they prefer nesting in dense brush/foilage?
All the Stars I have bred have always built own nests in grasses or low shrubs...and do not like any hint of nest inspections... :thumbup:
So they build their own nest, and I shouldn't do nest checks or even go close.
Last edited by Finch_Breeder on 16 Jun 2012, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
djb78

All mine like to build natural nests also around a metre or so from the floor. I would have to agree with vettepiolt no nest inspections.
Danny
Finch_Breeder

djb78 wrote:All mine like to build natural nests also around a metre or so from the floor. I would have to agree with vettepiolt no nest inspections.
-Mike-
MadHatter

When I bred them, my pairs were fine with a bit of nest inspection. Probably best to leave them well alone for the first few nests then once they get going you can start experimenting to see what level of nest interference, if any, they will accept.
Finch_Breeder

-Mike-
steve

I was going to ask about nesting as I have multiple nests available but my Stars insist on trying to build their own structure. The first couple of attempts fell or was blown down by the wind, they seem to have found a spot in the corner out of the wind but it does not look very stable. Do they need any particular nesting material other than grass?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't comment on stars specifically. But when nests fall apart it sometimes means they need more stalks of grasses to strengthen the nest with.
LML
LML
dazzab

My stars have always built nests in brush. Even after I removed the brush and nesting material for the winter I left some cane baskets and boxes in for another week or two. They still tried to nest in the fork of some branches I have in the aviary using whatever they could find and totally ignored the artificial nest sites.

Return to “Star”