Red Brow Active?

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
SamDavis

I haven't kept Double bars or Red brows for years as we've got heaps of wild ones around here but my recollection is that aviary Red brows were much tamer than aviary Double bars. This is the opposite of what I see in the local wild ones around here. The wild double bars often fly into my barn to scrounge stuff and remain feeding until I get within about 6 feet. I don't ever recall seeing a red brow game enough to enter the barn yet there's often plenty hanging around just outside.
desertbirds

My Aunty has Loftyi (REDBORWS)on her property and they tap on the window in the morning to be fed, they are wild birds but calm. Its not so much the birds but our behaviour,aviary set up,and available room that will determine if they are quiet or skittish.One quiet confident cock bird in the wild will have the whole flock being calm and trusting, one nutter in the aviary will have the opposite affect. Birds are as individual as people so its hard to cover one species behavior by saying "they are timid and skittish" . Different birds and flocks will behave differently, theres no hard and fast rules.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

desertbirds wrote: Its not so much the birds but our behaviour,aviary set up,and available room that will determine if they are quiet or skittish.One quiet confident cock bird in the wild will have the whole flock being calm and trusting, one nutter in the aviary will have the opposite affect. Birds are as individual as people so its hard to cover one species behavior by saying "they are timid and skittish" . Different birds and flocks will behave differently, theres no hard and fast rules.
I would agree to a point, as you know Parrot finches are extremely flighty, but once they get to know who comes and feeds them etc not so bad, but when I get a visitor look into cage well all hell breaks loose purely because they don't recognise them... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
spanna

I have a small colony of redbrows and some of them are extremely tame, while some are extremely timid. The most dominant breeding pair are the most tame, coming down for mealworms each morning when I throw them out for the button quail. The other pairs are usually hanging back until I leave. Regarding them getting used to some people and being flighty with strangers, my girlfriend didn't know I had any for months because she never saw them! After a while they got used to her though.
SamDavis

I'd add that tame means something different for different people and also whether they are in the wild or in an aviary. For me if I can get within 6 foot of a wild bird then it's really tame whereas if I can't get within 6 foot of an aviary bird then it's a bit mental. And when they're in cabinets its even more extreme. Aviary bred birds tend to settle down in cabinets within days whilst wild birds remain mental virtually indefinitely.

Return to “Red Browed”