Are painteds cathemeral?

Includes Species Profile.
Finch_Breeder

Mortisha wrote:
rainy night my jacarinis
It would be kind of nuts to advertise your location at night unless you could move out in a hurry if needed.
Good Point .
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perhaps they do it too deep in brush to worry about airborne predators? Snakes perhaps...
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Craig52

As stated in another topic,Strawberry's are the worst for night time calling,they are real cat callers. Craig
SamDavis

jusdeb wrote:Too many big words ..
I get the general drift so might add that my Bourkes are the first awake and the last to roost ..
I had no idea of the meaning either. Sounded a bit like a religious term to me.
Maybe:

cathemeral.
An ephemeral catholic. One who briefly believes in the catholic faith at critical moments in life.

There are OBs in a large aviary at my place which gets some light from the outside house light. This is often enough to cause them to start calling even on really black moonless nights.
Diane

SamDavis wrote:There are OBs in a large aviary at my place which gets some light from the outside house light. This is often enough to cause them to start calling even on really black moonless nights.
Image :oops: Ive just thought, I have a solar powered light in each aviary for night frights, that would explain the calling when I think its still dark.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
roma9009

still those with out solar lights would probably still call, and its funny my orange breasts used to call when i used to come in from work at about 2 in the morning
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Redpolls,Yellowhammers and Green Singers call at night regularly and sing.
JEWEL

My Orange Breasts chatter away for about an hour before the sun actually rises, and my rose bourkes chatter late at night when everyone else is fast in roost.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it happens between midnight and 6 am it is a mystery to me, cause I am either chucking zzz's or trying too. :whoa:
LML
LML
desertbirds

Jacarinis are well known for after dark activity.Bourkes are almost semi- nocturnal, and Painteds are from the same area/climate as bourkes.People travel many miles to see Bourkes here but often only hear them after dark coming in to drink , not actually see them. When you see where some of these birds live it becomes obvious why they have some of the habits that they do. Painteds for example can be in open areas with low spinifex cover , rocky gorges ect, daytime temps in the open would exceed 60 deg .Its not hard to see why Painteds were considered a difficult species in the early days (remember nearly all the birds went south into colder,wetter climates).When i see Painteds , they never cease to amaze me, small groups in the harshest environments.

Return to “Painted”