Yellow and red together? Why not?

Includes Species Profile.
SamDavis

Currently I've got red and yellow stars as individual pairs in different aviaries. But I need some extra space to get some new purchases (goldwings) going, so I'm thinking why not chuck all the stars into my large planted aviary and run them as a colony? For some reason a few mates have a feeling this is a bad idea but we're not too sure why.
Please tell me it's fine!
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SamDavis wrote:Currently I've got red and yellow stars as individual pairs in different aviaries. But I need some extra space to get some new purchases (goldwings) going, so I'm thinking why not chuck all the stars into my large planted aviary and run them as a colony? For some reason a few mates have a feeling this is a bad idea but we're not too sure why.
Mainly because you will have red head and yellow head mixing it up, causing splits etc...I personally wouldnt do it, but I'm not a fan of mutations anyway...your birds your choice Sam... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its Fine If all the Birds are going to be Bonded Pairs in the Colony of Both Red & Yellow so Don't have any spares of each type or they make splits and dont leave chicks in there to long as Red and Yellow Chicks will crossbreed if they pair up or Just go with one Type.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SamDavis wrote:Currently I've got red and yellow stars as individual pairs in different aviaries. But I need some extra space to get some new purchases (goldwings) going, so I'm thinking why not chuck all the stars into my large planted aviary and run them as a colony? For some reason a few mates have a feeling this is a bad idea but we're not too sure why.
Can't help you with stars, but what are 'goldwings'?
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yellow/Gold Wing Pytilias I think its the Gold Wing I know
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aaaaah that makes sense :P thanks F247
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
SamDavis

Sorry - yes, goldwing= yellow wing pytilia

I understand the red split yellow issue but for some reason with stars I have this notion that it's a bigger no no than with other mutations. Maybe because out crossing to normals (reds) isn't really needed as the yellows are just as strong. In any case I'm sure some (or many) of my reds are already splits as I've had the odd yellow pop up over the years.
Craig52

SamDavis wrote:Sorry - yes, goldwing= yellow wing pytilia

I understand the red split yellow issue but for some reason with stars I have this notion that it's a bigger no no than with other mutations. Maybe because out crossing to normals (reds) isn't really needed as the yellows are just as strong. In any case I'm sure some (or many) of my reds are already splits as I've had the odd yellow pop up over the years.
Sam if thats the case just do it as its not a case of producing half red/yellow birds,only splits but you will get reds and yellows in the same nest and they will be splits. Craig :thumbup:
SamDavis

Thanks Craig,
Exactly what I was after - someone else to blame when others have a go at me. Now I can answer: "It's not my fault, Craig told me to." :lolno: :lolno:
Sam
Craig52

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Star”