painted button quail

crazy cuban

just wondering what painted button quail are like to keep as hoping to get some quails that are a bit harder to breed then kings
CC
mattymeischke

*BUMP*

I had been thinking of some button quail, too; I was hoping someone would answer...

I've been thinking about little versus painted BQ versus BBBQ, and wondering if the other Australian BQs (esp. the red-backed BQ) are in aviculture in any numbers.

I have two large aviaries with noone living at floor level.
I am intending to get some skylarks when I have overhauled the old one, but I have a vacant floor in one of the new ones already.

Would welcome any thoughts on the pros and/or cons of the BQs.

(BTW if anyone wants any King Quail (normal, dilute, cinnamon, silver) anywhere in southeastern NSW or the ACT, let me know...) :cloppy:
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
desertbirds

From what i can gather Littles would be the next step up from King quail. Red Backed are almost lost at the moment and there has been heaps on the forum regarding BBBQ`s.Im assuming husbandry for Painteds is similar to BBBQ`s and they are a bit of challenge, lots of live food for young and hens must be seperated once she has laid.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Red Chested are also being kept in reasonable numbers now.
Judging by the numbers I saw at healvesville last month, PBQ can't be hugely difficult to breed (in a fair sized aviary at least). I'm just hoping for some success with my Littles when I get a hen :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

In years gone by Painted BQs were regarded as the most common and easily bred of the BQs & hence commanded a much lower market price than the other species. Perhaps partly for this reason they were largely overlooked for some time in favour of the BB, RC & Littles. This has resulted in Painteds becoming relatively uncommon recently & at times very difficult to source.
There are a couple of excellent articles by David Pace in past issues of Australian Aviculture outlining his experience with them which suggests they are very well suited to leaving the hen in with the male whilst breeding in relatively large aviaries.
Painteds are the most attractive BQ in my opinion.
crazy cuban

would they mix with king quail

also do we have buff breasted button quail in australia
CC
desertbirds

Dont mix with other Quail.No Buff Breasted for sale or being held in captivity here (that i have heard of)
mr.fox

I've been keeping the Little Button for the past 3 years but have only had any great success since sourcing unrelated birds from another forum member 12 months ago. In fact, I had a population explosion of sorts. I can recommend the Little as the next step up from the King quail. I would also love to take on the Painted and BBQ in the future, but don't believe I can do justice to either species at the moment. I find the Little Button as a species is much more forgiving in terms of livefood requirements etc. In other words.. don't bite off more than you can chew. :thumbup:
spanna

I took a great big leap up from the kings to BBBQ, and have only had them for a few months, but are doing well. Both pairs are well settled, courting, hens booming, and eating a bucketload of maggots each day! Livefood is a big deal for these guys, and no problem for me, but my understanding is that if you can't supply livefood every single day, you may have trouble with some of the buttons.
mattymeischke

I can't find PBQs on the NSW lists. The BBBQ is on a basic license, the RCBQ, RBBQ, CBBQ and buff-BBQ are on the advanced, but I can't find PBQ on either list.

Can anyone tell me which license is required for PBQs in NSW?

Thank you.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”