Singing

Harvey11

Over the past week i have noticed that my male Canary has started singing.
Could this mean an early breeding season.??
I have him in my avairy,there is a female canary in there to.
Should i move him into a cabinet to prepair them for the breeding season.Or is it to early ????

Thanks
Harv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Weaver

Harvey,
Unfortunately you have little control while they are in the aviary. If they decide to nest now they will and I would predict the results will be poor.
Better to remove the cock to the cabinet now, letting the hen enjoy a few more months of aviary time.
I never pair mine up until the end of September and breed far too many even then.
Good luck with them whatever you decide.
Bob
Finch_Breeder

My male has just started to sing aswell (got him a week and a half ago :crazy: , but I wouldn't let them breed just yet.
Mike :thumbup:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
djb78

Harvey your male sounds like he's getting into breeding condition but I doubt your hen would be yet. As weaver said place him by himself and enjoy his lovely song for now. I wouldn't place the hen in till at least 2nd week of September with him. By this time daylight hours are getting longer and she will be closer to want to breed then. At the moment I have my boarders cocks all in cabinets and I have the hens all in a flight cage, males are calling and hens are ignoring them. This havrey would be a good time to condition your hen while the male is away.
Danny
Harvey11

Thanks for all advice :thumbup: ,i will move the male into a cabinet on the weekend.
I have been feeding all my birds lots of winter grass.
Looking foward to the canary breeding season. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Harv
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My mature cocks are also in full voice. With my main pair feeding. Could be the high quantity of canary seed I am feeding to help them cope with the coldest winter for a very long time. Used to do the pair up on 1st September thing, but being in the hot state found I did better letting them go earlier. But you should be guided by those in similar weather conditions.
LML
LML
Redwing

Have one of my canary pairs in my aviary and discovered the female has just built a nest. Caught me by surprise and she's built it from scratch on the top of some brush.No eggs yet, what do I do? It's freezing here at the moment, would have thought it way too cold to be thinking about it, we're certainly consistantly colder than you finchbreeder.
BrettB

Perth is having its driest July in 100 years and it is significantly cooler than usual with all the clear skies and dry air.
My mother's canaries have been singing for the last couple of weeks.
It's not just the canaries that are confused, all of my chickens have started laying and the self seeded tomato seedlings in the garden have taken off.

Times they are a changing (apologies to Bob ) :wtf:

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
nxe04d

July Talking Birds has a good article on this subject
MadOzzie

My canaries have been whietling for about a monthn and for the past two weeks the males have been chasing each other. This weekend I will place all the males I identify into cabinets. I wont pair them iuntil mjid to late August. I am usually guided to time of thsi by the hens playing with "nesting material" which may be anything they find on the aviary floor such as feathers, pieces of grass even wood shavings. I give then shredded hessian (about 6inches/15cm long) in the cabinets when I place the wire nests in.

MadOzzie.

Return to “Canaries”