A "Lesser" Common Sight

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
GP Finches

These little guys fledged 6 days ago (23rd July). To my amazement 5 Lesser Red Brow young appeared one by one. I don't think it is common to have a large clutch like this, especially in the middle of winter. Has anyone else had Lessers breeding in winter? The rest of my pairs bred in late spring and early Autumn. Perhaps they do this in the wild being a tropical bird. I have also included a cute photo of two having a cuddle. The parents are terrific! Regards Greg
5babies.jpg
2babies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good Healthy Chicks...Well Done :thumbup: so whats your secret? feeding etc?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
GP Finches

I am not sure there is a secret. I am still finding out about their habits and what they like. The are housed in an avairy that is made of cool room panels with suspended flights. These ones are housed with Painteds and Yellow Rumps. The Yellow Rumps are a bit irritated with the Lesser "swarm". There are plenty of nest sites (tea tree).

The are feed a high quality finch seed with Leb cucumber, "Grains n Greens", soft food (my recipe which I am experimenting with) and maggots. I use Poly's calcium grit and diatomacious earth as well.

All in all a fabulous finch that is full of character.

Greg
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats Hope you breed more :thumbup: :clap:
FinchLover1999

Congrats on the young.
I really hope you breed more
desertbirds

When i kept them here they wouldnt generally start until April. They always went bent better through winter, i had one clutch of six but the norm was 3 or 4.Congrats on breeding a few, they are lovely finches.
Craig52

Thats very true DB,i fledged my first young around a month ago.They haven't been bred long enough in aviaries to change their breeding cycle as they breed in the dry season in far north Qld which starts around April/May.
A couple of years ago,i wintered my prs in cabinets in my birdroom and during this time i had a call from the person i got them from telling me he had just fledged a few batches of 5 and his birds are doing really well.He freaked when i told him mine were in holding cages till spring :shock:
The following day i put them back in their aviaries and with in a week they were building nests,lesson learnt. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations to everyone who is breeding this loverly little finch. Keep up the good work.
LML
LML
FinchKing

They are a beautiful finch. Keep up the good work. I see these guys in the wild near craigieburn often.
Reggie
Craig52

FinchKing wrote:They are a beautiful finch. Keep up the good work. I see these guys in the wild near craigieburn often.
Whoo Finchking,these are not the common redbrows seen around Melbourne,they are a rarer subspecie from Cape York Qld. Craig

Return to “Red Browed”