sneezing and beak open

Yellow Billed and Red Billed (Hecks)
Includes Species Profiles
meepmeeps

i have a shaft tail finch (or hecks grass finch or long tailed finch what ever lol) its been quite hot in my flat and temps have been something like 95 degrees at times. the last week or so i have seen my hand tame shaft tail sneeze a few times and ive seen him quite often sitting there with his beak open. he is a free flying bird along with his mate in my flat but his mate doesnt do it. i keep about 30 or so finches in my flat of various types and ive not seen this in the other birds yet. does anyone know if its too hot for them and what might be wrong with him? i do know within the last month i lost 2 gouldians and air sack mite was the suspect cause(they were in their anual moult at the time). i think the shaft tail is also going through a bit of a moult too so his amune system may be a little down at this point. i do have ivamectrine to treat against mites but im a bit worried about using it since i dont want anything bad to happen to the little guy. thanks any help is much appeciated
Canary

If it is 95 then it should not be a cold. Without seeing the bird it is difficult.

I treat all my old canaries with Ivermectin that has been diluted to the correct strength, every 6 months in July and January, and also any new birds I purchase. I dose the new chicks that are bred from September to December for the first time in July when they are at least 6 months old(I do not dose them in January when just out of the nest)

With my strength of Ivermectin, I give them 1 drop direct to their beak, and put 1 drop on their skin under the feathers on the back of their neck. A friend of mine puts the drop on the skin under their wing.

My birds do not have any breathing problems, or lice or mites. It also helps their legs as they do not get the thicker scales on their legs that mites love to hide in.

If your Ivermectin is for small birds then I would give the bird a recommended dose. I know that my Ivermectin strength will not affect the birds, and does not affect their breeding either.
desertbirds

Sounds like air sac mite .
meepmeeps

i have a new unopened 10ml bottle of ivermectin 0.1% but the instructions does say do not let the animal swollow this product? so its going to have to be 1 drop per bird on the skin. my worry is that what happens if more than one drop comes out? i mean i have over 30 birds to treat since its pointless doing just one at a time. thanks for the advice :)
Canary

I use an eye dropper to measure the 1 drop.

I just checked my Ivermectin. It says it is 0.08% strength.

What do the instructions on the bottle say?
meepmeeps

it just says 1 drop for birds upto 50 grams and to be applied on the back of the neck once for 3 weeks and then treat again. avoid use on mother inlaws lol just kidding :D :D :D

Return to “Long Tailed”