Quiet Rooster

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not being a Poultry person, and don't like being woken at 4am...but wanting to have Chickens and hatchlings....So question:- Is there such a thing as a quiet Rooster? keep the neighbours happy too :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have had chickens and roosters for a long time.but If any roosters crow at 4am around here I will put something sharp and shiny over its neck.Dont worry I have done it before.
Mortisha

No - a rooster will crow no matter what, some individuals will have a less volume than others - hard to know til you hear them.
Usually it is a porch light, a full moon or some other rooster going off that will get them started at night.

I have a friend that puts his rooster in a blacked out insulated cage at night so it doesn't crow before 7:30 am and the awful neighbour doesn't complain yet again.
Diane

I have heard that if you cage the rooster up in something small enough each night so that it cant stretch its neck up to crow that works.....might be an old farmers tale though.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Red

A lot of people put the rooster in a reasonably sized box at night to muffle the noise. You could always go all out and build a soundproof coop.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewto ... soundproof
nswchainsaw

I have been told if a Roster can`t stretch his neck he can`t crow , then i was told that breeders in suburban areas put the Rosters under large flower pots at night to stop crowing.
Garry
VR1Ton

Try Jap Bantams or Modern Game Pit Bantams, even if the neighbours do hear them crowing, they'll be to busy pissing themselves laughing to complain. If I can find the camera, I'll get a photo of my Japs tomorrow.
Last edited by VR1Ton on 05 Aug 2012, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

All our roosters are locked up in carpet lined timber boxes every night at 6 pm and let out at 8 am so they don't annoy any neighbours
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The quietest rooster I ever came accross was beautifully baked with potatoes and carrots. :lolno:
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote:The quietest rooster I ever came accross was beautifully baked with potatoes and carrots. :lolno:
LML
Spoke to neighbour yesterday and they said exactly same thing....funny I said cats go missing in my yard when things like that happen....she wasn't impressed :shh:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”