Hundreds of skylarks

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Lukec

If there is aggression a caller bird with a mist net is a great option..

The Maltese use a net for goldfinches whereby two 10m length nets running parallel to each are connected to a rope that pulls and flops the net across each each, a caller bird is set in the middle..... Not quite sure what the net type is called. I have seen these nets in action and have taken 200 goldfinches at a time, they were also baited with scotch thistle.

Someone here may know what they are called, I'll see if I can find a YouTube clip.
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
mattymeischke

west finch wrote:that”s cool Matty go for it . Wish I was there to see them in the wild. :thumbup:
Mate, it was beautiful; we lay on our backs looking up and could hear three or four overlapping songs at any given time.
Lukec wrote:If there is aggression a caller bird with a mist net is a great option..
I like it.
Now all I need is a caller bird...

Do you think the iPhone playing skylark song on repeat is worth a go?
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Lukec

Here you go, they are referred to as clap nets

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iP26WIyBVKI

Yeah there song may be enough to draw them in.

If you manage to trap some be sure to source some water from where they are drinking and ween them off it over a two week period, this helps their survival rates.

Tap water stresses trapped birds out more.
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
mattymeischke

Thanks, Luke, the clip was really interesting.
I'll be sure to do that with the water, though it was kind of milky and weird....

The net I have is a mesh base about four feet wide, with a C-shaped hoop which carries the net and is springloaded. A platform can carry bait or the lure bird, and is operated either by weight or by string.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
stephstar

I can't believe u think its. Ok to captivate a wild bird are u just ignoring me?
The early worm escapes the bird
mattymeischke

I'm not ignoring you, stephstar, I answered you above.
People on this forum do things many different ways, and we (mostly) manage not to argue publicly.
stephstar wrote:I can't believe u think its. Ok to captivate a wild bird
That's okay stephstar, you don't have to believe.
You are welcome to ignore this thread if it upsets you.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi stephstar....
That cordon you're buying, and those king quail, and every bird ever owned ever, came from wild caught stock. As it happens, there aren't many skylarks around. They are a feral species, and therefore It is doing the environment a favour to remove them. Also, the more are captive bred the less are wild caught, so surely an attempt to speed up that process agrees with your sentiments?
Not to mention that the trapped birds will likely have considerably longer life spans, and will benefit from having a reliable, stable food source.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
stephstar

Every Bird i own was bred in captivity .. If it was a wild bird id set it free. Id never put a wild animal in a cage. U r taking. Freedom from something that's born. Free. They wern't brought up in a laboratory.
The early worm escapes the bird
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

But where did those birds come from origionally steph, all wild birds. you will find over here goldfinches, most 28"s and redcapped parrots are all wild caught...
Tintola

Stephstar, would you have a problem with anyone catching a wild/born free, introduced rat and keeping it in comfort, with its own kind, free of predators and well fed for the rest of its life? It is just anthropomorphic thinking to judge everything from a human point of view, in condoning one and criticising the other. Rats are considered vermin by humans and we trap and kill them. ( human point of view). Feral birds could be trapped, kept and pampered. ( human point of view)
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image

Return to “For any species not listed below”