Thck Billed Parrot Recovery Plan (Finally!)

findi

The Thick Billed Parrot finally has a recovery plan in progress - was listed on the US Endangered Species List in 1973! Please see these articles;

No protection for USA's last native mainland parrot http://bitly.com/TV5S9O

Thick Billed Natural History, Zoo Care http://bitly.com/OwOB4C

Recovery Plan: Register your comments http://bitly.com/O6pHKs

Enjoy, Frank
SamDavis

Thanks Frank - another most informative read.

Interesting (and odd) that this parrot hasn't had greater public exposure/awareness given its USA range. Hopefully the various parrot clubs throughout the USA will get behind the recovery plan.
I think I recall seeing some on display at San diego zoo - I'm not sure, but I guess they were part of a captive breeding program.

Sam
findi

Thanks for the kind words, Sam. US Fish/WildLife Service sometimes takes the term "Red tape" to a whole new level! ..but at least things are moving. They do well in captivity, being bred at SD, as you mentioned, Queens Zoo in NYC and elsewhere.

Best, Frank
Myzomela

Thanks for the info Frank- you've come through with the goods yet again.

This species already has undergone one recovery plan which was an unmitigated disaster, due to poor rehabilitation techniques.
Basically the released birds had no idea of how to flock and avoid predators. It was a PR disaster.

I suspect that's why things have been quiet in the interim.

I'm sure they've learnt their lesson this time & will make sure any released birds will have had some predator avoidance training.

I wish them well with the project.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting article :thumbup: :clap: Wish more people would care about the wildlife around them
findi

Myzomela wrote:Thanks for the info Frank- you've come through with the goods yet again.

This species already has undergone one recovery plan which was an unmitigated disaster, due to poor rehabilitation techniques.
Basically the released birds had no idea of how to flock and avoid predators. It was a PR disaster.

I suspect that's why things have been quiet in the interim.

I'm sure they've learnt their lesson this time & will make sure any released birds will have had some predator avoidance training.

I wish them well with the project.
Hello,

Thanks very much for the kind words; Predator avoidance, foraging and such is a real problem for many species. Most know about the hunting practice needed by raptors, but all species, as far as I know, face difficulties, with "hard releases" as we call them. I recall a project with antbirds in Panama years ago - they didn;t forage by scratching leaf litter, or follow ant swarms, etc. Physical changes can be very quick as well; grouse (I forget species) showed gut length changes after only a few generations in captivity, and when released could not digest their normal diet. Hopefully something has been learned...

Best, Frank
findi

finches247 wrote:Interesting article :thumbup: :clap: Wish more people would care about the wildlife around them
Much appreciated, Harry,

best, Frank

Return to “Parrots”