lorikeet

Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You wouldn't think a HR baby that can't fly would be capable of a successful escape....i know from experience you're right though VR1 :lol: they don't like being picked up....
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rainbows bite like pit bulls ... Other half got nailed through a leather glove , wouldn't let go , still had glove in beak after glove came off ...much bruising and a little blood .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Myzomela

mickw wrote:keeping a runner will not be a wise choice, especially if you keep parrots or come anywhere near anyone else's parrots......unless the science has changed.......Myzo?
No Mick- you're right- the science hasn't changed. PBFD birds shouldn't be kept anywhere near other parrot-like birds, especially chicks and youngsters.
VR1Ton wrote:If it's not biting, I'd say escapee being H/R, all young lorikeets if picked up will scream & bite, particularlly if its a rainbow or scalie
I used to think the same but after having had hundreds come into care it seems that there is a period of several days where many of the young seem very tame & compliant.
After a week or so they revert back to being screaming, biting monsters again!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
amalan11

Sorry should have said ..its a rainbow lorrikeet ,iv not seen any other type so I forget they exist. I had a realy good look today to double check and its feathers are all there and no sign of beak and feather .
I notice its very bright and able to clean itself ect and very keen for food but only the comercial nectar mix no wild things so im getting dubious as to it being wild but no signs re lost birds either had a look while walking dog.
It is quite communicative and squeeks if it hears wild lorries or for its food ..hopefully it will turn feral on me and I will know its wild although tonight while holding its dish it cleaned its sticky beak on my hand whenever it felt like it so it has no fear!!
mickw

Dont discount it being a wild bird amalan.......they can be very accepting of humans.....especially if there's wet mix on offer............they are supreme opportunists, ......Labradors of the skies!...... my rescued Rainbow, "Ray" took just 4 x 20 minute sessions over 2 days to become tame......anything for a feed!
amalan11

I think it could be wild now as its gone a bit feral and bites if I catch it .Im popping it outside in a big cage every day to talk to the wild guys in the gum tree which it loves,but it still cannot fly its improving but not there yet . it is very healthy and active though so hopefully before long it will start eating wild food it tossed a gravilla around a bit but has a huge love of its commercial mix.
Im hoping if I can get it flying it will be ok in the wild as its getting replies from the wild guys to all its calling so is making contacts for a free life hopefully

Return to “Parrots”