lorikeet

amalan11

What do people think ?
I was out the front today looking for mail when i saw this flash of colour in the jacaranda and a lorikeet clambering in it,then it fell off and climbed the vines on the fence and sat there.I went out and it let me pick it up no problem just little nibbles .I tried it and it cannot fly yet but is a most enthusiastic climber,it looks lovely and full feathered bright lorrikeet colours.Its beak has a little bit of black swirl on either side so not full orange.
Is it a baby out to early? ...in inner Sydney at this time of year im not sure they are breeding??
is it an escapee ??
Im thinking a wild baby but not atall sure ...I havent called wires yet as I think if its a baby it must be so close to flying i can just relese it in a couple of days
I brought it some nectar mix from woolies as it wont try seed and iv given it Gravillia
Also if it is a baby should I put a lamp near it is chilly here ..although its full feathered
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would keep it warm....funny up here in Qld they get drunk on fermenting flowers and fall out of the trees screaming all over the ground :D :D
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
amalan11

That would be funny to see ..as long as no preditors were around,iv read of it in the NT as well.
Well im not sure now what to think,just went out and had a look no seed or gravillia touched which had me realy worried..I made up some of the harmony nectar mix with warm water but with little hope (it was asleep on perch with head under wing).It was thrilled and straight away started licking it from my finger and then eating it from the spoon,every time my hand got sore from holding it up for lorri he squeeks till its returned..he ate a couple of spoonfulls so im realy releved .Iv left the dish in there for him as well ..but im just not sure a wild lorri would eat from a spoon so easly ..im more confused than ever !!.
I dont want to go toss a captive bread fellow up a tree :lolno:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if it is that young you may have to raise it for a while yet....or atleast till it is feeding itself...maybe find someone who has these willing to take it off your hands?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
amalan11

By law if its wild it will have to go to wires ,im just not sure if it is wild .its no real baby it is fuly feathered and sitting on a perch ..
I will see how its going tommorow.I could get it to a wires vet Sun am
Craig52

It's quite interesting that no one has asked what specie of lorikeet this is,If it's a rainbow no body seems to care even wires so help it the best you can and release it when it recovers. Craig
Myzomela

The black on the bill indicates that it is a juvenile.

I would examine this bird's feathering closely. In particular the flight feathers on both wings and the tail.
If the outer flight/tail feathers are missing then it almost certainly has Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease- a nasty viral disease that can affect any parrot-like bird.
If the bird's feathering looks ok then technically you should send it to WIRES; otherwise you could nurse it yourself until it is released.
In my experience young rainbows are often very quiet at this age.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep B + F or drunk ( have been reports of it happening around SE Qld ).

Once upon a time i would say yeah raise it and love it but now I say WIRES .... too risky .

One of the signs of B + F is they resort to juvie behavior as a means to get food .

Even if not showing signs of it , it could be a carrier .

Good on you for saving it though .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
mickw

Myzomela wrote:The black on the bill indicates that it is a juvenile.

I would examine this bird's feathering closely. In particular the flight feathers on both wings and the tail.
If the outer flight/tail feathers are missing then it almost certainly has Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease- a nasty viral disease that can affect any parrot-like bird.
If the bird's feathering looks ok then technically you should send it to WIRES; otherwise you could nurse it yourself until it is released.
In my experience young rainbows are often very quiet at this age.
Like Myzo said..........Juveniles are quite clumbsy fliers and can be very confiding giving the impression that they're hand reared.....especially those with b&f.......they turn into great pets and like croc says, no-one seems to care :shifty: ......and no, they're not likely to be interested in seed.... for a little while at least..........and unfortuneately, you should remain emotionally detached as many suffer beak & feather virus............keeping a runner will not be a wise choice, especially if you keep parrots or come anywhere near anyone else's parrots......unless the science has changed.......Myzo?
VR1Ton

If it's not biting, I'd say escapee being H/R, all young lorikeets if picked up will scream & bite, particularlly if its a rainbow or scalie

Return to “Parrots”