Nest building

Includes Species Profile.
Dal

Hi All

I was lucky enough to be able to sit outside for a few hours this morning watching my finches. I have my first lot of Zeb babies hatching, with the other two pairs sitting on eggs, so there's a bit of activity in that flight. My cock BFPF is still chasing his girl around like crazy. But the highlight thismorning was to watch my Painted cock carting chunks of bark and sticks up to his chosen site. I noticed a few bits when I was feeding this morning, but he's been flat out since then. Silly bugger has decided to build in the very top of the highest clump of brush, completely the opposite to what I was expecting (I even put a few clumps of brush down just for them). He's certainly working like a man on a mission. :D
jenko

Wow sounds awesome Dal.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats on breeding your young Zebs and wish you luck to breeding some Paints and BFPF's :clap: :thumbup:
BOF33

Silly bugger has decided to build in the very top of the highest clump of brush, completely the opposite to what I was expecting (I even put a few clumps of brush down just for them)
Exactly the same case with my pair. A pretty messy looking nest as a result. Bark, twigs, seeding grasses and feathers all over the joint! :wtf:
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine have actually built on top of the feeding cage - and as a result, there's grass everywhere! Hangin down through the roof of the cage etc. and I don't dare pull away the hanging bitsfor fear the whole thing will come down!!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Painted”