Rainbow lorikeet

djb78

Hello I was after some help, I just got a rainbow lorikeet only 5min ago, not knowing very much of these parrots I would like some info on their diet needs. I have given him I think some de hulled sunflower seeds and Apple. I don't have any wet Lori mix and hope to get some later today or early tomorrow.
Danny
Myzomela

Hi Danny,

I would suggest a good quality lorikeet wet food (eg Wombaroo Lorikeet & honeyeater food) and a wide range of fruit & vegetables.

The Wombaroo packet tells how much to give a rainbow- I suggest you stick to this amount. Stick to the mixing directions also ie don't make it any thicker than recommended.
If the bird doesn't eat it all within a few hrs then I would give half the amount in the morning, the other half in the afternoon.
Wet food can spoil in hot weather so needs to be eaten quickly or removed after a few hrs.

You can also provide dry food. I use it mainly as a backup, with some available all day. Again there are several brands but the Passwell brand is one of the better ones.

Do not believe the hype that lorikeets should just be fed dry food and not wet because it makes their droppings less messy.

Lorikeet droppings ARE messy & should be watery- this is natural for them. I find the dry,pasty droppings produced by birds on dryfood-only diets to be harder to clean and presispose the birds to kidney problems.

Get the bird used to leafy vegies eg Asian greens/spinach/silverbeet/broccoli; also any other vegies fed to other birds.( ie NO avocado/onions/rhubarb)
If your bird won't eat any greens then you can blend some up and mix it with his wet food several times a week. Otherwise use the canned baby food equivalent.

Fruits should also be given daily. Use whatever you have- apples & pears are popular as are red papaya (if you can get/afford it), melons etc. Vary the fruits offered.

Seed is not a great idea-especially sunflower (too high in fat). Their gizzard is not really designed to digest hard seed. You can give a little soaked seed occasionally if you feed it to your other birds.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
djb78

Thanks very much myzo. Its a beautiful bird and since he flew into my garage while I was feeding my other birds I'm sort of lost and don't know what to feed him other than wet food and Apple. So now I will have to add a aray of other fruits also. He is a tame bird and not wild, hoping that I may find his true owner shortly and not have to have him for a long time. I've tried greens and no luck so far he wasn't interested but loves Apple. Would Orange or mandarine be fine.
Danny
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine eat Vetafarm Lori Rice dry food or Passwells and a home made wet mix '
They don't get seeds at all but do get green seeds ( wild oats ) occasionally .
Apples , paw paw , grapes , orange ( occasional ) any fruit but avocado ..Peas , corn , madiera cake ( treat ) .
Love toys , love baths , love wet branches to climb through .

Can projectile poop so don't eat near where they perch /

As said food goes rotten quick so remove any wet foods after a few hours .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im waiting on some Blue fronted Rainbows . Beautiful birds .
David Brent
djb78

Thanks deb just gave him some grapes and digging right in. He was very hungry and thirsty couldn't wait for me to fill the cup and already digging in. I will have to get some Lori mix as I don't know how long he will be here. He won't be coming inside as I heard how they poo and I think my wife would kill me before the bird so he'll stay in the garage with the rest of my birds. I'm hoping my delivery will turn up in time for me to go to a store and pick up some food. I'll try and get some gum tree branches for him to sit in and make him feel more comfortable. Thanks for the help much appreciated.
Danny
djb78

Well I went and got some of the wombaroo wet mix and aristopet dry, they didn't stock paswell at all. I have made half the amount the packet recommends to see how much he will eat and judge off that how much to supply. Got the red paw paw and some Asian greens with broccoli . He has dug straight into the dry mix and then when he noticed the wet always straight into that now, hasn't touched the broccoli but did go and have a look. Good part is he does look healthy and alert but starving, hasn't stopped eating, is this normal? His poop seemed not to be to runny, any suggestions? I'm hoping that it may have been a deficiency in his previous diet of wet food or maybe a bit dehydrated. Never knew how expensive the Lori mix is till I have had to buy it. My wife loves him but ice told her the real owner has to he found. How long should i look for the owner before he can be as lost for good, wife really wants to keep him while I'm not so keen on keeping him had my hookbills already.
Danny
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the poops are dry then Id say he has been eating wrong for a Lorikeet or a bit dehydrated .
They are good eaters , he may be catching up a bit too , you don't know how long since he has eaten .
The dry food is a bit dear but once he settles down a small bowl will last a couple of days and the majority of the diet will be fruit .
I put a small piece of plain cake into the wet mix twice a week , they love it .

As for ownership . You can only do your best , maybe in a month call him your own , there may or may not be someone worried about him but chances are if he is a well mannered little bird then someone has put the time in to make him that way .

They are real clowns and will keep you entertained for ages . Good luck whichever way it goes and well done for taking him in . :thumbup:
David Brent
djb78

Thanks deb, he is a monkey and not real worried. He doesn't like to be touched but doesn't mind me standing on the outside of his cage knows there's a barrier. Doing all the normal thongs checking the local shop and calling the vets. How can you tell if its a boy or a girl?
untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DNA with Rainbows as far as I know . He / she is gawjus .
David Brent

Return to “Parrots”