English Budgie Personality

findi

The English Budgie: Calmer & Quieter than the American Parakeet? I think so, anyone else? Article here: http://bitly.com/PmEsIk
natamambo

English budgies have no choice but to be "placid" - that ridiculous bulk of excess feathers must knock the stuffing out of them (if you'll pardon the pun :lol: ). They can't see anywhere but forward, which means they can't interact with anyone that is not directly in front of them. They can't really fly, certainly now with that undulating flight they are named for, due to their excess bulk which also removes all their agility to climb, swing and generally show off. They have been genetically selected to have all their personality removed so that they are "better behaved".

The antics of the fun loving budgie are the reason to keep a pet budgie - if you want a quiet pet you might as well buy a stuffed synthetic cat over an English budgie!

Now, back to watch my budgie hanging upside down of his bell doing his best fruit bat imitation....
findi

natamambo wrote:English budgies have no choice but to be "placid" - that ridiculous bulk of excess feathers must knock the stuffing out of them (if you'll pardon the pun :lol: ). They can't see anywhere but forward, which means they can't interact with anyone that is not directly in front of them. They can't really fly, certainly now with that undulating flight they are named for, due to their excess bulk which also removes all their agility to climb, swing and generally show off. They have been genetically selected to have all their personality removed so that they are "better behaved".

The antics of the fun loving budgie are the reason to keep a pet budgie - if you want a quiet pet you might as well buy a stuffed synthetic cat over an English budgie!

Now, back to watch my budgie hanging upside down of his bell doing his best fruit bat imitation....
Hello, Thanks for your input. Selective breeding for a calm demeanor is definitely a factor; as with all domesticated animals, this is very useful in many situations. English budgies are well suited to living situations where noise is a concern, for example. I've kept smaller parrots in giant zoo exhibits, but even these are no substitute for free-flight - wild budgerigars cover thousands of miles in a lifetime, live in huge flocks, etc., so no matter how dedicated the owner, one cannot "replace" a natural habitat. Modification, behavioral or genetic, occurs no matter what we do. But of course personal preference plays a role; I enjoy American budgies as well.

Best, Frank
Myzomela

Hi Findi,
I agree with Natamambo on this one.

Along with the calmer demeanour, the English budgie also comes with a whole list of other disadvantages that have resulted from the ridiculous selection criteria we as humans have used to create this monstrosity such as decreased breeding success, increased susceptibility to disease, blindness & decreased longevity.

In Australia, there is a new movement away from the extremes of these birds. A group has formed which still show budgies, they still select for their ideal type without the excessive postural & feathering features which are disadvantageous to the quality of life of these birds.

However, showing of the traditional English budgie is still popular.

As you say beauty is totally subjective but in my opinion nothing beats the beautiful streamlined features and outgoing personality of the diminutive bush budgie!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

With you on that one Myzo, as we now have a pair of bush budgies I much prefer the origional other than one my partner wishes to keep.. pete
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed you only need to own Bush Budgies to appreciate the difference human intervention has made to the look and demeanor of the pommy budgies ...
Was recently asked why I don't mix english with my bushies to get some colour ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yeah right :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

At work we get berated on a regular basis for under feeding and neglecting our budgies..... This is what they look like in the wild, dammit!!!!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lol Jay they are abit scrawny compared to the others lol
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We also had a person in once who thought EVERYTHING was a budgie.... King parrots, quail, the actual budgies, princess, finches, canaries... All budgies :lol:
Sorry for hijacking topic.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
findi

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Re the group working to modify some English budgie characteristics, I've run across some people who are doing the same here in the states. Health is a concern also, inbreeding depression and all. Witness all the problems with certain dog breeds. I've even seen evidence of decreased breeding, weak immune systems in albino American bullfrogs and 2 species of Australian stick insects (all inbred for many generations).

Best regards, Frank

Return to “Parrots”