Are my chaffies trying to kill each other?

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
elferoz777

I would agree with the conditioning.

Seems like one is more ready than the other.

I dont think much damage can happen in an aviary the size of yours though I would not leave anything to chance.

You are lucky to won these awesome finches and I hope you are successful in breeding this season.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Netsurfer

mattymeischke wrote:Thank you all for responses.

Early in the day he seemed to have the better of her, but as the morning wore on he was doing less chasing and more hiding.
By the time I went to bed a bit after midday (nightshift) it was like a game of hide and seek, with him hiding and her seeking.
This afternoon they seem back to normal.
The aviary is 5x5x5m with lots of cover, and they are sharing with two pair each of goldfinches and greenfinches, and a couple of mules.

Hopefully this is courtship, though I will keep Weaver's warning in mind and continue to watch closely.
Nesting materials are in.
Fingers are crossed.
I think you're in business! Although the aviary is good size I'd say you have much to many very territorial species. If I understood correctly you said you had 2 pairs of Goldfinches, 2 pairs of Greenfinches, Chaffinches and some mules (2 or more).
First of all it is very unproductive keeping two pairs of Goldfinches or two pairs of Greenfinches in the same aviary. Perhaps pair of each. Aviary that size is not suitable for more than 3 pairs of Carduelan species. I would add another pair or two of Grass finches hopefully that would diffuse aggression a little, however with a rare species like Chaffinches you don't need Goldfinches nor Greenfinches in the same aviary. Chaffinches can be very aggressive to other Carduelan species they may even kill them and you wouldn't want to trigger something like that, they could even end up killing each-other.
mattymeischke

Thank you again, Netsurfer, for detailed comments.
Netsurfer wrote:If I understood correctly you said you had 2 pairs of Goldfinches, 2 pairs of Greenfinches, Chaffinches and some mules (2 or more).
Correct. 2 mules.
Netsurfer wrote:First of all it is very unproductive keeping two pairs of Goldfinches or two pairs of Greenfinches in the same aviary. Perhaps pair of each. Aviary that size is not suitable for more than 3 pairs of Carduelan species.
Not really aiming for productivity, more for birdsong outside my bedroom window in the morning and the opportunity to get to know some Old World finches. A pair of each of the greenies and goldies will shortly be split up to pair to canaries to try for mules, which will leave one pair of each in the big one. I hoped that by stocking lightly and providing ample cover I could minimise aggression.
Netsurfer wrote: I would add another pair or two of Grass finches hopefully that would diffuse aggression a little, however with a rare species like Chaffinches you don't need Goldfinches nor Greenfinches in the same aviary.
I was a bit scared to put smaller birds in with these guys for fear that they would be pasted by the big ones. How would they diffuse aggression? On a related note, I had been wondering if weavers would be able to share a large aviary with Carduelans. Thoughts?

To date (*touching wood as he writes*) there had been no interspecific violence, though the chaffies are clearly dominant at the feed stations. There seems to be arrangement, whereby the greenies keep very high in the brushed out end, the goldies sit on the high perches in the clear or play on the ground, and the chaffies go wherever they want to, and everyone else gets out of the road.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Netsurfer

mattymeischke wrote:Thank you again, Netsurfer, for detailed comments.

I was a bit scared to put smaller birds in with these guys for fear that they would be pasted by the big ones. How would they diffuse aggression? On a related note, I had been wondering if weavers would be able to share a large aviary with Carduelans. Thoughts?

To date (*touching wood as he writes*) there had been no interspecific violence, though the chaffies are clearly dominant at the feed stations. There seems to be arrangement, whereby the greenies keep very high in the brushed out end, the goldies sit on the high perches in the clear or play on the ground, and the chaffies go wherever they want to, and everyone else gets out of the road.
It's just the presence of other birds and the commotion and distraction they cause when other birds are being chased but by no means this is "the" rule. The problem with the Carduelan's is they can target and "latch" on to the one bird, the bird will eventually hide somewhere on the floor until one day you find it dead somewhere in the aviary. I am not sure how would Weavers go with Chaffinches, I guess depending on species, I had Madagascans in with Goldfinches and Hooded Siskins they bred OK for quite some time until one day the male started targeting the Hooded Siskin hen. She was always hiding down on the floor couldn't even go to the food or water dish, had to take the Weavers out. But that's not "the rule" your bird may be more tolerant, you may have to experiment, however if it's the Napoleon Weaver you're talking about I'd be very careful, you wouldn't wanna lose one of those! In my opinion the "art" of keeping birds is not to ever keep to many in one aviary.
mattymeischke

Today the chasing has been less intense, and they have been showing an interest in the nesting material. They seem to have negotiated their marital terms, as it were.

Today I saw him select a feather with some care from among the pile of white chook feathers I had put out; it was a clean, handsome, symmetrical and relatively large one. He flew to her with it as if to present it to her, and she greeted him with a chorus of scolding and chased him several times around the aviary as if to underline the inadequacy of this piffling feather for her particular purpose.

They still have shown no interest in the live food, but are guzzling niger, green seeds and have been picking at the spiderwebs I collected for them.

:)
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
mattymeischke

Action. Two days ago they started eating live food, and they are using the cobwebs within minutes of them being provided.
Yesterday, I found the nest.

Now the hard part.....
djb78

Good going matty, now no peeking.
Danny
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup: :thumbup: good luck!!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
mattymeischke

Well, its been several weeks so I thought I would post an update on the chaffies.

They built a beautiful nest, but continued to fight vigorously. For those old enough to remember the Pink Panther movies, they reminded me of Inspector Clouseau and Kato. One would be eating something and the other would unexpectedly barrel into them from the side.

Then, about two weeks ago, I noticed the hen was missing some feathers on the back of her neck. Only on the back of her neck, like in star finches when they are laying. Further, it seemed to be him chasing her but not vice versa. I was worried that she may be losing the fight, but then I saw him do the courtship two-step and the deed of joy. At the same time, their live food intake increased from 5 or 6 mealies a day to 20 or 30.

Incidentally, I am having some trouble getting them to take any live food apart from mealies. They seem wholly disinterested in maggots, termites, slaters, crickets and earthworms. This despite several sustained attempts to introduce them: presenting them variously, giving them with mealies, giving them in the morning with no mealies until the afternoon etc... I know they like moths but have yet to set up a trap. Anyone have any tips for getting them to eat maggots (for example)? I am almost tempted to put a stray canary hen (I have spares at present) in with them to teach them to eat maggots and termites.

I had been providing heaps of cobwebs, and she had been promptly down to the forked stick and using them up quickly while building her nest. She had slowed down, so I had been providing less, but she seems to be using them again over the last few days. At the same time, the mealworm consumption has gone down significantly.

I suspect she is building another nest. I wonder if the hot weather last week put her off, or if my attempts to encourage a wider range of live food by holding mealies back until later in the day have upset her. Either way, they certainly haven't killed each other (or even injured each other) yet.

Incidentally, Fatso (the goldfinch-canary mule) has been using heaps of cobwebs too, which is a bit strange. Might he be building a nest? He is a bit confused, and fair enough....
elferoz777

Sounds like great news.

I love all euro finches and chaffies along with linnets are my favorite next to the goldfinch.

When I have a larger back yard and a bigger wallet I might get into these again.

Keep us posted if they have babies and any photos of the nest would be quite interesting...I would like to see how you are keeping them.

Good luck
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”