Are my chaffies trying to kill each other?

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
mattymeischke

This morning my chaffinches are madly chasing and attacking each other, having lived very amicably together for some weeks.
No injury yet, but locking beaks and falling to the floor together, and relentless pursuits of each other.

Am watching closely, can separate if required.

Is this courtship or domestic violence?
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
SamDavis

mattymeischke wrote:...locking beaks and falling to the floor together...
I've never had chaffinches so I have no idea but surely this is more than young love!
djb78

Matty like Sam I've not had them but sounds a bit dangerous to me hope someone with knowledge can help.
Danny
djb78

Matty like Sam I've not had them but sounds a bit dangerous to me hope someone with knowledge can help.
Danny
natamambo

This site says that male performs mating ritual but female can sometimes be aggressive back http://www.oiseaux-birds.com/card-chaffinch.html

Amazing footage of ritual here

http://youtu.be/1XAxZ3B8FxQ
Weaver

They can be extremely aggressive to others and each other, until they pair for the season. I would remove the cock for a while, it sounds like he has come into condition ahead of the hen.
One WILL kill the other without doubt. (I speak from experience). They remind me very much of the Red Crested Finches in that regard.
Good luck with them.
Bob
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Experience with Chaffs is they usually do that if the hen doesn't want to breed but male wants to breed.European Finches are usually agro when breeding
Lukec

natamambo wrote: Amazing footage of ritual here

http://youtu.be/1XAxZ3B8FxQ
This is brilliant.
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
Netsurfer

How big is your aviary? They can cause lots of damage to each other, but that's normal, just keep an eye on them, they are trying to breed. Tempt them with live food and lots of seeding grasses, they may settle down a little, with a bit of luck you may see nest building in a day or so. I bred them in a 1m w x 2m h x 2m deep aviary. Don't forget variety of nesting material, now is the time.
mattymeischke

Thank you all for responses.

Early in the day he seemed to have the better of her, but as the morning wore on he was doing less chasing and more hiding.
By the time I went to bed a bit after midday (nightshift) it was like a game of hide and seek, with him hiding and her seeking.
This afternoon they seem back to normal.

The aviary is 5x5x5m with lots of cover, and they are sharing with two pair each of goldfinches and greenfinches, and a couple of mules.

Hopefully this is courtship, though I will keep Weaver's warning in mind and continue to watch closely.
Nesting materials are in.
Fingers are crossed.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Non Specific Questions”