Yellow redbrow

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
iaos

Just dragging up an old thread. Has there been any progress on the development of this mutation?

I stumbled across an article in AA magazine vol 38 no. 4 pg 84 - 87 by Dr K Myers. There are photos with the article and it discusses both an orange mutation and yellow mutation. The results of his breeding determined that both mutations were autosomal recessive.

In terms of colour on the rest of the body for an orange, it said that it didn't differ significantly to a normal. However for the yellow he said "not as heavily pigmented (green) on the lower back, wing converts and secondaries as were the normal birds".

If anyone wants a scanned copy of the article PM me.

Cheers Ian
Craig52

iaos wrote:Just dragging up an old thread. Has there been any progress on the development of this mutation?

I stumbled across an article in AA magazine vol 38 no. 4 pg 84 - 87 by Dr K Myers. There are photos with the article and it discusses both an orange mutation and yellow mutation. The results of his breeding determined that both mutations were autosomal recessive.

In terms of colour on the rest of the body for an orange, it said that it didn't differ significantly to a normal. However for the yellow he said "not as heavily pigmented (green) on the lower back, wing converts and secondaries as were the normal birds".

If anyone wants a scanned copy of the article PM me.

Cheers Ian
Ian,i did mention the colour difference earlier in this thread.I did aquire Matty's bird and had it sexed as a hen and after months of pairing to a normal cock they showed no interest in breeding.I also inquired about GP's bird and it also turned out to be a hen and also had no success breeding it.
The original bird i had years ago was a hen also and it did attempt to breed but produced infertile eggs with many different cock birds,both this bird and Matty's have been passed on to other breeders and to date have never produced young.
I'm beginning to suspect that these mutations are infertile and will never become established.
It is the same with the fawn double bar cocks,which have been proven to be infertile but not fawn hens and split cocks which is the reason why this mutation is stale mate imo. Craig
iaos

Too bad about MM's bird showing no interest in breeding. It would be interesting to hear if GP had any luck.

As for being infertile, the article indicated that they breed colour to colour.

Cheers
GP Finches

No luck with my Yellow Brow hen. I believe that they are fertile and will breed true.
elferoz777

I saw some in a pet shop that had a nice gold tinge at the back of the neck.

Not sure how normal that is but my locals dont have it.

In some of them it presented as a spot like those carrying a pied gene or other.

Was thinking to by them but the other in mates were on there last legs and the $40 price tag seemed a little steep.

I reckon these little critters could throw out some great colours.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Red Browed”