Plum heads

Includes Species Profile.
lacosa

We have just got some plum heads, they are currently housed as a pair alone and getting seed, silverbeet, soft food sproats and millet daily, does anyone have any hot tips on keeping them thriving? can they be housed with any other types of finch? We have Cuban, cut throats and society, will they be ok with them in the big avairy? Google seems to be giving me alot of conflicting advice... :mrgreen:
Just when you think you know it all, you learn something new.
[/i][/b][/size][/color]
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi,

Some of those species are quite boisterous species Cuban the most boisterous.To be compared with Plumheads As they are peaceful.

Good mix I have found are Plumheads,Fires,Cordons,Orange Breast and RFPF's in my large aviary.

They like brush to find in and make nests in.

Henry
shox

how many pairs of cutthroats. plumheads very quiet greens and seeding grass are the key. Love to nest in brush.
gomer

Plumheads are very placid and quite birds are would do best with finches the same.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tiaris

Cubans may be ok with them if the male Cuban's temperament is ok, but I definitely would not house them with Cutthroats or Bengalese as Plumheads can be super sensitive to nest intrusion/interference usually abandoning eggs or young & these 2 species and their fledged young are among the worst offenders for entering the nests of other finches.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have to agree with Tiaris...Although Cutthroats are one of my favorites they are notorious for checking other nest sites out (same for bengalese) Plumheads are like Stars I have found you only have to glance sideways at the nest and they will desert...I would house them with Painteds, Ruddies, Orangebreasts, Cordons or Stars :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Plumhead”