Kea Intelligence - smartest parrots?

findi

Kea learning abilities shock researchers; how does your parrot compare? http://bitly.com/OXHWEk
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice Article We saw the Keas steal peoples lunch and destroying cars by ripping cars window wipers off and plastic seals go around doors on the car and taking rubbish out of the rubbish bin while I was Snow Boarding in The South Island. :thumbup:
findi

finches247 wrote:Nice Article We saw the Keas steal peoples lunch and destroying cars by ripping cars window wipers off and plastic seals go around doors on the car and taking rubbish out of the rubbish bin while I was Snow Boarding in The South Island. :thumbup:

Thanks...I've often read about that, must be something to see first-hand! Lots of interesting studies on crows, esp. New Caledonian, as well; you might enjoy http://bitly.com/PmADUk

Best, Frank
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We had them let tyres down on our motor home (not happy :evil: ) they snipped off the exposed valves and just let the air blow around their heads :evil:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Myzomela

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry VP, but you've got to love their mischievous nature. I can just see the utter look of joy on them as the air blows over them...and the look of horror on your face!

You've just got to admire their intelligence.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Mortisha

Keas are way cool - love any wildlife that can give as good as they get.
Though what they do to sheep is pretty horrifying.
How challenging would they be as a pet! Gawd you'd be in damage control 24/7 :crazy: . They would seriously outsmart some people.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When we were over there the locals said you also seen them feeding off sheep carcasses....hope they werent the ones killing them :silent:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Myzomela wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry VP, but you've got to love their mischievous nature. I can just see the utter look of joy on them as the air blows over them...and the look of horror on your face!

You've just got to admire their intelligence.
All I could think of was Damned Hookbills....And the loss of 4hrs while m/home was towed and valves replaced...lucky they didnt strip our wiper rubbers or side moulding like others had done.... :evil:
Finch_Breeder

I remember seeing these on a show called Deadly 60 a while ago :thumbup:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
findi

Hi all,

Thanks so much for these first-hand observations; I've not had the chance to work with keas in zoos, and hearing about them in the wild is a real treat for us here in the US...Best, Frank

Return to “Parrots”