Java Sparrows - Normals

Includes Species Profile
desertbirds

Do all the splits carry white under the mandible ?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

good indication,as well as white feather on wing or lighter underbelly....check out second pic on this site http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18717 and 1st and 2nd pics on this site http://www.javafinch.com/coulor/colour.html
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
desertbirds

Thanks again, i will pick the birds up tomorrow and post a few pics. I didnt have a really good look so time will tell.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know the Pure Normals should have no white on wings and white on lower mandible.I think splits look same as Pure Normals.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finches247 wrote:I know the Pure Normals should have no white on wings and white on lower mandible.I think splits look same as Pure Normals.
Splits will show white under chin..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for correcting me VP
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have to have an extra good look at my boy in the morning. As I feel sure he does not have white on him. But bred to a pied hen they have produced 67% pied.
LML
LML
desertbirds

vettepilot_6 wrote:
finches247 wrote:I know the Pure Normals should have no white on wings and white on lower mandible.I think splits look same as Pure Normals.
Splits will show white under chin..

Which,unfortunately they all have, so what will these birds produce if they are splits ?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They should produce splits, pied, and normals..I have just found some from a guy on Sunny Coast..but young are related.
Lonchura

This is true! However, the white under the lower mandible is a good indicator the finch contains pied colouration in it genetic background. It does not indicate the finch is split it just indicates it does not contain 100% wild-type colouration (pure normal Blue-Grey), in its genetic makeup. However, no white feather on the finch does not mean it is not split to another colour mutation. The white is Just a quick way of ruling out finches fast, if you are in search of true wild-type colour bloodlines, the white feather is just a good indicator the finch has pied in its genetic makeup. Only breeding it for several generations while keeping accurate records will reveal the true makeup of its genetic history. The issue with colour lies with Javas that do not contain white as the wild-type colour is dominant and is usually covering the fact the finch is split to another colour mutation. I have purchased several Java's with no visible white, only to be disappointed when the offspring feathered.
And so the search for true blues continues.

Once again very few people, if any, have maintained a true normal wild type Java with most breeders succumbing to the lure of feather/colour mutations while no one maintained the wild type. I don't have an issue with breeding mutations I am just saying BE VERY CAREFUL WE DON'T LOSE THE ORIGINAL WILD-TYPE IN THE PROCESS.
Just as a parrot breeder about their issues with finding true wild type birds.

I commend Henry the Kiwi for his attitude
Treat every finch as if It's rare, because you have it today but... maybe not tomorrow.
Last edited by Lonchura on 01 Jun 2013, 13:14, edited 3 times in total.
I am interested in purchasing any of the more unusual Lonchura species and/or their subspecies. Particularly the Asian Munias or New Guinea Mannikins. If you have some and wish to sell them, PM me with the type, quantity and price

I will buy related or unrelated birds. I am also happy to organise and pay freight from anywhere in Australia.

Return to “Java Sparrow”