Dark side of parrot rescue centers

findi

Re-selling abandoned birds, hoarding, etc...has anyone experienced the problems described here? Thanks. http://bitly.com/IZyb4M
Myzomela

A quick scan of Australian internet bird selling sites will show that there are several people advertising that they will provide homes for unwanted pet birds as they have empty aviaries.
It's funny how they continuously advertise.
Obviously they never manage to fill their aviaries............

Unfortunately this only denegrates the work of the true parrot refuges out there such as the Parrot Rescue Centre on the Gold Coast.

As for hoarding, I'm sure it happens here just as it does in the US.
There are many aviculturists who keep too many birds for what they are capable of looking after properly- it's the collector mentality gone too far- and many of us have done this before but eventually realised our folly and cut back on the numbers of birds we keep.

However, as any good aviculturist knows, an empty aviary is a waste of good space!!! ;-)

I haven't seen the hoarding of pet birds yet but no doubt it does happen too.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I see it as if you put out you are wanting free birds I think it shows they can't. afford the bird so how can they afford bird seed to feed when looking at those types of listing on websites Pet shops try that strategy regularly.

Just My Opinion
maz

Definitely happens over here, maybe not to the same extent, but I know especially on FB sites it is nothing uncommon to see people accumulating birds at a huge rate (along with all sorts of other animals), you also see the profit based "rescues" get bird cheap or free to good home on one site, for sale a week later on another with some silly story (that you know isn't true). Very sad and unfortunately the internet has made it even easier for these people. But I'm sure they existed before we just didn't notice it quite so much.
findi

Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated. I've even had people try to get myself and co-workers at the Bx Zoo to refer parrots for adoption to them. reptiles as well...usually "I'll take anything", etc. is a give-away as to their true intent.

However, some people do "take anything" and then try to keep it. Once helped clear out a Manhattan apt - using pools and waterproofing, resident had turned place into a swamp, complete with papyrus and 5 4-6 foot long caimen; police officer looked through window from fire escape, while on a burglary call, and almost fell off! He also had dozens of birds and other reptiles, most adopted; many, many more stories!

Best, Frank
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ive seen a dog hoarder . Dogs in trailers , under trailers , boxes , sheds you name it she had pooches everywhere ...
Got a huge payout from a property developer for her house and land , had near all the dogs put to sleep and then set up a you beaut kennel facility and run about 12 dogs after that ....

Its a BIG :wtf:

My point yep it could happen here and I reckon it does and I can understand just how easy it is to get in over your head with birds , most people would stop when things became a chore but others just keep collecting and then start neglecting .

I dont fall for the "wanted free" usually followed " to replace kids pet " ...If you cant afford to buy one you cant afford to look after one .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
findi

jusdeb wrote:Ive seen a dog hoarder . Dogs in trailers , under trailers , boxes , sheds you name it she had pooches everywhere ...
Got a huge payout from a property developer for her house and land , had near all the dogs put to sleep and then set up a you beaut kennel facility and run about 12 dogs after that ....

Its a BIG :wtf:

My point yep it could happen here and I reckon it does and I can understand just how easy it is to get in over your head with birds , most people would stop when things became a chore but others just keep collecting and then start neglecting .

I dont fall for the "wanted free" usually followed " to replace kids pet " ...If you cant afford to buy one you cant afford to look after one .
That's another good point "wanted free"; I see that here often...definitely a bad sign. Thanks, Frank

Return to “Parrots”