Canary Prices 2014

Canary

I was selling my excess Border Fancy canaries at $30 for cocks and $20 for hens. If they are show standard then the prices are higher depending on how good I think the bird is. The price usually ranges between $75 to $100. I know one bird, a hen, sold at an auction last year forn $600. I think the maximum price at the auction this year was $170.

Lizards are selling from breeders at the same prices, as Borders.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.avianweb.com/canariesspecies.htm To see what the different ones look like. The Borders and Glosters seem to be $15 - $35 each hereabouts. Depending on availability and colour. (Though why colour makes a diffence with these I don;t know)
LML
LML
Red

Thanks Canary and Finchbreeder that's really interesting. I have heard some Norwich breeders pay $500 a bird for quality which is fair enough, it's the people asking for $400 for a Satinette canary on Gumtree that get under my skin.

Danny,

If Sammy is selling his Plainheads for $25 I'm paying him a visit next year, he has some good birds. The three breeders I have bought stock from ask for $40, $40 and $50 per bird. I'm really surprised Parisian Frills are so cheap but I really don't know much about the Frilled breeds.

Thanks all

Red
Last edited by Red on 10 Oct 2012, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
djb78

Red yes they came from Sammy and I've already told him that next year I want a few more. The breeder you got yours from has good stock also since she won a fair few ribbons. The price of the frills is what I saw advertised last year but i never seen them so i don't know how good they were but i guess the average i seen would be $100-120 but since seeing that add i thought they may have dropped that's why i said fromm knowing that there's a chance that they weren't good or crossed.
Danny
SamDavis

Red wrote:SamDavis, the site below is probably the best place to get a feel for what type canaries should look like. The Border varieties in Australia look very different to overseas birds but other than that a google image search should steer you right for the rest on the list:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/auscanary/Page%209.htm
Thanks Red - although the standard is useful and of course shows the differences, it would be great to see some actual photos of birds. When I was at a recent canary show I could clearly see the differences between varieties in different classes I just didn't know the name of each variety. My interest in this area was sparked when I recently attended the Wollongong Avi Society (who have a few canary breeders) - they were encouraging me to encourage our Wollongong finch club members to enter finches at their annual show.
Red

Thanks Danny

SamDavis, not a great picture but this is an Australian Plainhead.

Jono-VW

Good to know I didnt get ripped off for my Yorkshire canaries! Bought them off a top shower breeder for $75.

Now looking at getting into the Red Factors.
elferoz777

That aussie plain head looks pretty damn good!

Not seen many tbh
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Red

Thankyou kindly

They are hard to find but once you do they are a straight-forward no-nonsense bird. No need for foster pairs, suitable for beginners etc. Sorry I sound like a sales pitch, I just like them. Of course other breeds have their good qualities too.

As SamDavis said, breed pictures would probably help novices with breed I.D. so feel free to add canary breed photos to this thread, if anybody out there has them.

Cheers

Red
elferoz777

I would like to see more of this Australian plain head and also the standard for him.

My favourite are lizards still
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Canaries”