Sexing Yellowrumps

Includes Species Profile.
Bgould

Can yellowrumps be sexed visually? What methods do other AFF members use other than DNA sexing?
arthur

Check rump area, above and below, usually quite distinctive differences

Crown also brighter in cocks but sometimes harder to discern
tonytoast

I have 6 cocks and 1 hen....I learnt this by putting a different coloured ring on them and watching them...it didn't take long because the cock birds constantly sing. I started with 3 cocks and 1 hen and when I separated the hen and one cock they went straight to nest. They produced three young first attempt and I hoped that at least one of the young would be a hen...typically, they were all cocks....and so is the enjoyment and frustration of breeding finches. Toast
garyh

Bred these birds a few years ago and one way for me that worked ,was the width of the beak ,the bridging of the beak where it meets the head,on cock birds it is much wider, and never missed ,quite easy really ,hope this helps ,garyh.
Bgould

Thanks for your replys. I will have a look at the rump and beaks when I catch them out next week.
Tiaris

Similar to white-headed nuns, cocks have paler heads (when mature) especially right on top behind the beak to behind eye level. Previously sexed all mine by this without DNA sexing & not at all difficult if they have mature plumage. I think DNA sexing is a fantastic development especially for uncoloured young birds but I think it is making us less observant of minor details in our birds which previously were absolutely vital to be aware of. I prefer to only use DNA for very rare birds to be 100% certain but back myself with all others.

Return to “Yellow Rumped”