Singing hen?

Includes Species Profile
spanna

Recently purchased a young pair of strawberries from a fellow forum member. Lovely little birds. I have however noticed that both birds seem to be singing... Though one spends more time imitating a painted firetail than anything else!

Have thus far been unable to catch both and compare colours and spotting of the rumps, but as I have never kept the species before, I was wondering what others thought? My understanding is that a young hen can imitate her fathers song, and in the absence of a mature strawberry cock believe she may be imitating any other strong singers :lol:

Thoughts, ideas?
Cheers
Luke
Tiaris

If she does the full song I'd say she is a he. If they both have rumps spotted the same you definitely have 2 cocks. This time of year most cocks have lost their full breeding plumage so the rump is the best thing to go on.
spanna

Thanks Tiaris. To my knowledge both were bred this year, so still haven't attained a full plumage change yet. The definite cock does his full song, while the questionable one seems to do bits and pieces, not all of its own species! Will try and get a good look at their rumps. :thumbup:

Return to “Red Avadavat”