Eric's Marked White Zebra Finches - where are they now?!

Includes Species Profile.
Finchy

Apparently someone in Sydney named Eric bred Marked White Zebras for decades but 2 weeks ago he sold the lot - a couple of hundred of them. Does anyone know who they went to? They are not at ACE Colonies, Andrew's Bird Palace or Crystal Pet & Wire. Where did they end up?!

Some of you know that I've been desperate to get my paws on some decent Marked Whites for years now and they always seem to elude me, no matter the lengths I go to. True to form, this sale basically happened one or two days before I found out that they existed. If it wasn't such a trivial topic, I'd think the Heavens were trying to tell me something!

(FYI for those not so familiar, Marked Whites look like photos 2 and 7 on this page: viewtopic.php?f=115&t=5585&start=0 They should have markings just like normal greys, but with a white or very light back.)
Gordy

"
Apparently someone in Sydney named Eric bred Marked White Zebras for decades but 2 weeks ago he sold the lot - a couple of hundred of them. Does anyone know who they went to? They are not at ACE Colonies, Andrew's Bird Palace or Crystal Pet & Wire. Where did they end up?"
Hi Finchy, Don't know your source but they are not correct. Myself & nswchainsaw went to his place
a couple of months ago to help him do a heavy cull & he has kept about 10 pair. He asked me to dispose
of the culls & I took them to a dealer but they would be long gone now I expect.
Though he had them for many years he kept his blood lines tight which kept the birds on the smallish
side so I know of much better birds around than his.

I'm the Pres of the Zebra Finch Society of Australia. If you pm me with who & where you are I will
see if anyone can help out. No promises though.
Finchy

Thanks Gordy! I have PM'ed you (...though the message is currently sitting in my Outbox rather than the Sent folder; no idea why as others have all gone...)
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finchy - PMs sit in the outbox until they are read by the recipient, then they move to the sent folder.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
nswchainsaw

He is Fishing ( not catching )
Wayno

Marked whites and also some very big SHOW quality normals at Ace Colonies Wentworthville $18 each, not sure who has sold them but there would be 50-60 birds ( the normal grey cocks are as big as budgies! )
Finchy

Thanks for that, much appreciated!

I was there a week ago or so and they had a huge bird that some would call a Marked White, but its colours were extremely wishy washy so I was not interested. Are the ones you've seen real MWs, as in Normal strength dark markings except for white or near-white backs?

I'd zoom over there to look but it's a 2.5 hour round trip for me with a bunch of petrol and tolls, and I've always been disappointed with the quality and condition of birds at ACE. I seem to buy at most one bird every second year from there.
Wayno

Best to give him a call as I am not that good with zebra colours, but he did have about 20 in a cage that said they were show quality Marked whites and fawn fronted marked whites if there is such a thing. As I said if anyone is after BIG zebras then these things are huge.

Also about your point on cleanliness, I to am disappointed in the condition of his cages and birds. Surely it doesn't take that much to give them a once over on your day off.

Return to “Zebra”