Includes Species Profile.
Myzomela

Research; evaluate;observe;act
VR1Ton

If your shouting, I'll have a go
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I would love to , but out of my league for another few years, besides I am content with the sighting of a young one at one of our bird baths yesterday, I had to look twice as alot of silver eyes were bathing and they dont have a red bill. The bill is what made me have another look other than the size differance ... I couldn't get the camera quick enough.....Pete
Netsurfer

I will eventually get a pair but first I'll have to think of a way of introducing them to one of the two larger aviaries. In one I breed W.W.Wrens which killed 2 Orange breasts and a R.F.Parrot Finch, in the other Red-backed Wrens which killed some Parrot Finches. I would hate to buy them and put them in one of those aviaries and find them dead on the floor the following day. :irked:
Tiaris

I haven't yet had RE Firetails but from what I've seen & heard they are definitely a 1pr per aviary on their own bird to have a reasonable prospect of breeding success.
Myzomela

I tend to agree with Tiaris.

Until a more domesticated strain of these birds is established, I would find it too much of a risk to place them in a community aviary.
There are enough problems with these guys as it is- even the successful breeders measure success in relative terms, and all, to my knowledge, keep them on their own with no competition for resources or additional stressors.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Craig52

I tend to agree with both of you,i don't want to even trust them in a one pr per aviary,when GMc was here he was looking around my back yard to see if i had a brick wall as i would need one to bash my head against in his opinion if i intend to get them.But times running out for me,so maybe in a couple of years. :shock: Craig
Netsurfer

Ah well, in that case if I have to build another Aviary it will be to keep a pair of either Emu Wrens or the Black and White Wrens whenever they become available.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Netsurfer, of course you have to build another avairy. You is a birdo, it is part of the rules. :lolno:
LML
LML
Netsurfer

finchbreeder wrote:Netsurfer, of course you have to build another avairy. You is a birdo, it is part of the rules. :lolno:
LML
True ;-) but when I first started with birds (many year ago) I use to breed Pigeons and in those days they use to say "keeping birds is addiction" :wtf: . At some point you have to decide what is enough. Two, five, ten twenty or how many aviaries. It takes me good couple of hours every morning of the year to clean, wash and refill the dishes, supply greens etc, etc. I think what I have is more then enough! But who knows, when I get a bit younger maybe :lol:

Return to “Red Eared Firetail”